• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by viperrwk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short..

Recently, the rear up kicker and shooter lane kicker solenoids work very rarely during gameplay but always during test mode or when a ball gets stuck, triggering the solenoids after 15 seconds or so..

Both are set off by leaf switches which seem to be in good condition. I recently replaced the MOSFET for the shooter lane solneoid because that stopped working, it's used for multiball, worked like a charm after replacing the MOSFET but recently started acting up again along with the rear up kicker behind Freddy's head.

What do you recommend I check out next? I'm new to pinball so I'm not sure what would cause solenoid issues during gameplay but not in test mode other than a fauty switch, which im not sure how to test anyway, to see if that may be the issue. I should also note, it's not that they never work during gameplay, in fact, ill get a good run in when everything works like it should but then some games, they rarely, if at all, work.

Thanks

2 months later
#2 9 years ago

Just a fresh bump, back to trying to fix this. Bad coil diode maybe? Weird grounding issue? MOSFETs are good.

Thanks

#3 9 years ago

Run a switch test, but don't use your fingers to trigger the switches, use a ball. It may sound funny, but you should also run a lamp test. Gottlieb shares some electronics between lamps and solenoids, and that might help you narrow in on the problem.

Do you have the manual for the game?

#4 9 years ago

I do have the manual, yes. I did check the diodes on each coil tonight and they seem fine. It's just super frustrating when the problem is intermittent.

So I just took a break from writing this and went to run those tests, I do have a couple of lamps out that I did not have last time and I also ran the switch test. The rear up kicker works fine but I also played with the switch earlier so that may have fixed it, the shooter Lane switch I swear wasn't working when I first tested it but then I lifted up the board to check the connections/contacts and then it worked. I then proceeded to play a few games and everything worked perfectly. Wtf man..

I have a feeling this is not the end though..

#5 9 years ago

I should post a separate thread about this with the name of every Sys3 game in it.

The strobes are shared between the switch and lamp matrices on Sys3. This means if you have a problem with a lamp (shorting, wiring, socket, bulb, etc.) it will affect the switch matrix and cause weird game results.

It's very possible that if you have LEDs in the controlled lamps and a bad LED that it can cause strange things to happen in the game.

You could also have a bad lamp socket with an incandescent and still have weird things happen in the game.

You will not likely see weird behavior with the switches in switch test because the lamp matrix is not active during switch test.

Rule # 1 if you have weird game behavior on a Sys3: run the individual lamp test. For every lamp you test insure that the lamp under test is the only lamp that comes on the playfield and no other lamps light, even ghost on. If you have LEDs in the matrix, they need to be non-ghosting types for this test to tell you anything. If any lamps ghost on, you have to investigate the reason why and resolve. There is no point in trying to troubleshoot weird switch problems unless the lamp matrix is working 100%.

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago

Does Freddy have magnets in the game?

#7 9 years ago

Thanks viper, I'll look into it more tonight. I do not have any LEDs installed and I'm not sure what "ghost on" means.

I'm not sure if it has magnets, seems like it by the way the balls act but I didn't know if it was because of magnets or the ball spinning, lol. I'll check it out

#8 9 years ago

When you run the individual lamp test, the only lamp that should be on is the lamp under test. If any other lamps come on at the same time, even dimly (ghost), you have a lamp problem that needs investigating.

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

Ok, ran the lamp test and had to replace about 5 lamps, had no idea those were out! No lamps were on when they weren't supposed to be, even ghostly so that's good. Then ran the switch test again, the shooter lane seemed to be finicky for the first few times that I triggered it, but then became pretty responsive after a while. I then played a few games and it was spotty, sometimes it would kick out the balls like normal, other times it would delay, sometimes after a 2nd ball came into the lane, it would trigger, etc..

Since it's just a basic leaf switch, what else could be causing this issue? The rear up kicker seems to be working just fine since the other night, all I did there was adjust the switch lever that was sticking a little even though I didn't think that it would stick when a ball landed on it.

Anyway, any other thoughts would be great. Thanks.

#10 9 years ago

And just played a few more games without a hiccup...

Can you see my frustration?

#11 9 years ago

can you clean that switch or replace it? That is frustrating...I hate random errors... at least consistent ones you can kind of track down.

#12 9 years ago

I tried cleaning it but never though to replace it as I don't see how it could even go bad.

I'm going to play a few games tonight to see how it acts.

#13 9 years ago

When you're checking the switch in test mode are you using your fingers, or a ball? Sometimes a switch will test fine when you run your fingers over it, but a ball won't press it the same way. At any rate, watch the switch contacts as you run a ball over it in the shooter lane. Make sure you have clear contact each time the ball rolls over.

#14 9 years ago

Now that you mention that, I'm going to check something tonight with that switch and I'll report back..

#15 9 years ago

Well, forget checking my switch issue, all of a sudden, the machine won't turn on for some reason!

Power switch ohmed out fine, I get power in the service outlet but not the other outlet (can't think of the name of it off the top of my head). No blown fuses either.. Any idea on THIS problem?

#16 9 years ago

Interlock switch or screw-in fuse holder on the PS:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Power_Problems

Fuse can test fine but holder has lost the connection - it would need to be replaced.

viperrwk

#17 9 years ago

Thanks viperrwk.. I checked out the interlock switch. First of all, mine is not located near the door, but on the inside right wall of the machine, where there is nothing there to depress the button. So, I tested it by pulling it all the way out and the machine fired right up (phew). I suspect the switch has been "fully extended" ever since I bought the machine and it just happened to pop back "in" the other day for some reason.

Any thought on why the switch is mounted there in the first place? I'm guessing a previous owner moved it there so he/she could open and close the coin door without the machine turning off? That's my thought..

Also, played two games tonight and the shooter lane kicker worked like it should.. mystifying.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Lescell:

I'm guessing a previous owner moved it there so he/she could open and close the coin door without the machine turning off?

Probably. You could make a jumper to go in the power box to bypass the switch if you wanted.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,400 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-freddy-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.