View topic image gallery

FourStars (resized).jpg
IMG_3092 (resized).JPG
IMG_3091 (resized).JPG
IMG_3090 (resized).JPG
IMG_3089 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to assist an elderly lady remotely. She has a Gottleib Four Stars that has not been used in many years, and does not remember how to start it. Backglass and playfield appear to be in excellent shape.

What is strange is that cabinet is painted with squares instead of circles as shown on IPDG.org.

How does one turn it on and how does one add credits?

She is remote, so it makes helping her a little more challenging.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

IMG_3089 (resized).JPGIMG_3089 (resized).JPGIMG_3090 (resized).JPGIMG_3090 (resized).JPGIMG_3091 (resized).JPGIMG_3091 (resized).JPGIMG_3092 (resized).JPGIMG_3092 (resized).JPG
1 year later
#2 2 years ago

That is what appears to be a Humpty Dumpty Cabinet. Try manually adding credits to the credit wheel for starters. Also check that the contacts in the credit unit are clean.
Does this game have an instruction card? I'd like to know the verbage on it if it does.. Thanks.

Oh sorry, just realized you said remote help.. well chain of events would be coin added rings up credit on the credit wheel and or starts game. I suspect there is more going on than you can do remotely. More than likely a very easy fix once on location. Woodrails are fairly simple.

#3 2 years ago

Yes, this game is indeed in a Humpty Dumpty cabinet (partially painted over). Here's the instruction card:

FourStars (resized).jpgFourStars (resized).jpg

Most woodrails (this one included) were designed by the factory not to power up when you plug them in. They are supposed to automatically power up when a coin is inserted or a game is started with the credit button. This power-on feature is accomplished via a hold relay.

Most woodrails I've worked on have been modified to either power up via a traditional toggle switch that has been added somewhere on the cabinet, or to just come on when plugged in. To make this work, the hold relay power-on circuit must be hacked so that it is permanently on. This was usually done either because the hold relay coil was fried, or because the home owner didn't like the automatic power-on feature.

Since you aren't there in person, it's going to be a challenge for you to know whether this game has a modified power-on circuit or not, but perhaps you can ask the owner if she remembers how the game used to power up.

- TimMe

#4 2 years ago

The credit wheel shows 22 in picture so it's not a credit or coin problem. First thing I would have her check is that the 4 prong jonesplug male/female is connected inside the coin door. As always check all jonesplug connections and fuses.

1 year later
#5 5 months ago

I have a four star machine. I am new to the EM era machines. while playing the machine the front door opened and fell off. the scoring seems to be out of sequence. Is there a basic position for the counting wheels to be at for starting thee machine??
any help would be appreciated.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-four-stars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.