• Latest reply 4 years ago by OstlerDev
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello group – I have read many of your posts over the last few months that have helpd me repair some of my games. (So thank you for that) However I have run into a problem that I cannot solve from previous posts.

I did not play my Gottlieb flying Circus for a year or two (basement being renovated) and when I tried to start up one day, it appeared to be dead.

I am able to power up the game manually via the AC relay switch, but when I do, the score motor just keeps running.

This is a common problem I know. I have cleaned a bunch of switches - still no luck.

I will tell you there is continuity to the start switch, I traced it all the way to the AC relay.

Incidentally the game is set up for free play. I do not have a schematic – and to be honest, I can only read them very marginally anyway.

Any help you would be appreciated. Thank you.

G

#2 5 years ago

Hi beatclub , welcome to pinside.

Quoted from beatclub:

I have cleaned a bunch of switches

Sorry but that was a mistake. This forum is full of posts from people who tried shotgun cleaning & adjustments, and caused more problems than they were originally trying to solve.
What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.

Quoted from beatclub:

I do not have a schematic – and to be honest, I can only read them very marginally anyway.

Your best next step is to buy one. Here are a few sources.
http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html
https://www.marcospecialties.com/
ebay.com link: Pinball Original Schematic Flipper Gottlieb Flying Circus 1961

#3 5 years ago

Ha ha – that first reply sounds like rookie shaming to me ... allow me to rephrase… I cleaned five or so contacts on switches that seemed to be in the relevant path. I did not clean randomly or carelessly. I have proceeded carefully – hence my post here. I will order schematic, thank you for the suggestion. In the meantime, if anyone else has any tips for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

#4 5 years ago

I have started removing back box Jones Plugs to narrow down problems (in certain cases). Score motor stops? Problem in the head.
I clean every switch in the game, couldn't do it any other way. Schematics for an EM have never helped me repair a machine, kind of overrated in my opinion.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks Phil-Lee - I unplugged the playfield and score motor is still turning when AC relay is manually activated ... conventional wisdom would be that the problem is in between the coin door and the AC relay ... ? I know the start switch is making a connection as I traced it (continuity) all the way to that relay.

I don’t mind cleaning contacts - anyone have any suggestions of where to start?

G

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from beatclub:

Ha ha – that first reply sounds like rookie shaming to me

No shaming intended. I'm glad you could laugh about it. Let me know if I can help. I'll send you more in a private message.

#7 5 years ago

No sweat ... I did sound a little cavalier in my first post ... any help appreciated.

9 months later
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from beatclub:

the score motor just keeps running

One of these switches/relays is keeping the motor running. Which ones?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

beatclub I just picked up a Flying Circus game about a month ago and have scanned and uploaded the schematic that was in the bottom of the case You can download it here in pretty high resolution, and if you need a higher resolution I have an uncompressed version!

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/flying-circus/gallery

Let me know how else I can help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-flying-circus-start-button-dead-plus-spinning-score-rl?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.