Gottlieb Flipper Parade Advice....

By doctorFudge

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello all,

I am currently humming and hahhing over whether or not to buy a 1961 GTB Flipper Parade machine. The story goes that it was a community machine in an old folks home, where it appears someone took excellent care of it mechanically. The game appears to be fully functional, VERY clean inside, lots of new parts. Only problem with it is the dial for how many balls are left does not reinitialize when first turned on, and the GI sometimes goes out...but comes back on after about 5 seconds or so. I think these are pretty small issues. The playfield is in immaculate shape.

The major problem with this is the backglass and the cab. Backglass is for all purposes completely done for. Wood veneer covers most of the glass (yes....the backglass), where it must have flaked off and was painted black on the back too. The cab was painted all yellow, with some of the purple border on the backbox left.

I am looking to try my hand at restoring a machine, but I want to make sure that the amount I spend restoring I will at least get that back out of it if I sell it. Does anyone know what this machine would be worth restored so I know if it is worth spending $300 on a backglass?

Thanks a lot,

theDoc

Post edited by doctorFudge : clarify what i am looking for

#2 10 years ago

The value is around $825 for this game in very good condition working. A $300 backglass, a cabinet paint job (paint costs), and mechanical repair isn't a lot of money to invest but it will take a lot of time. You didn't say what the playfield or the plastics was like but consider the cost of a ring kit, new bulbs, a ball, and any other mechanical parts that may be needed

When it comes to cabinet repaints a poor one will bring the value of a game down. So if you're looking to resell it consider that.

Good luck

#3 10 years ago

What are they asking for it? That plus the backglass and work "might" put it over book value. So it would have to be something you'd like to hold on to personally instead of looking at it for profit.
good luck!

#4 10 years ago

The dial for how many balls are left is the ball count unit. It may just have some old lube in it that has dried. I spray just a little lubricant on the metal parts to free it up and dry it real good. Don't get any lube on the coil, bakelit disc, etc.. Work it real good. You know it's working right when it advances normally and when you maually depress the coil plunger it "snaps back". That may solve that problem. I usually go through all the steppers on any game I get in because they can cause many start-up and game play issues if they're not clean and working properly.

Score reels need to be gone through and checked also for proper operation.

Go to pinrepair.com - electromechanical section for lots of good info..

#5 10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies and the good info. He wants $300, but his son put the ad up for $200, so I think I could probably get him to honor his ad price for $200.

Just to answer questions, the playfield was either a 9 or 10. Perfect. That and the 98% functionality of the game is why I couldn't get the machine out of my head after seeing it. The plastics were all there, not broken, center plastic was a little flakey, but not bad.

Another thing I noticed was on the front/right corner by the plunger, you could see cracks along the seams of the wood. I have been trying to find something to this regard online, whether or not it is a big deal or what to do to fix it.

On the front of the backbox, it appears there is like a 1/8" thick wood shell on the outside, framing the backglass. Some of that has chipped and broken (in like a 2x2" area) that I don't really know what I would do with either.

I am down to try fixing these things and I am not really looking to resell to make a lot of money. I want the experience and to have a game I can donate to the next Zapcon pinball convention in Phoenix in April.

Thanks again everyone for your input. What a great community

#6 10 years ago

You need to be a cabinet maker to repair the wood cabinet, an artist to re-paint or touch-up, an electrician to repair the electrical, a mechanic to work on stepper units and such, a metal guy to remove any rust, a plastics guy to replicate any missing plastics, and a detail guy to wax and polish. Oh, I forgot the best part - a player to test the game when it's finished (at least 50 plays) )

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You need to be a cabinet maker to repair the wood cabinet, an artist to re-paint or touch-up, an electrician to repair the electrical, a mechanic to work on stepper units and such, a metal guy to remove any rust, a plastics guy to replicate any missing plastics, and a detail guy to wax and polish. Oh, I forgot the best part - a player to test the game when it's finished (at least 50 plays) )

That is a pretty hefty resume. =) I am excited to start learning this stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-flipper-parade-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.