Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by oldtowner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

popHelp1_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Hi, Bought a dead Flipper Parade late last year. (Photo below shows playfield before any work.) Got it going (thanks to Pinside). I've been cleaning it up. Removed and rebuilt the pop bumpers (needed access to playfield areas underneath, and the yokes were broken.) Five pops - two red, two yellow, and one centre white. Re-fitted them to playfield (with wires/plugs added to the lamp holders, to make future removal possible without desoldering/soldering). Tried the game with a ball.

Left 'Leo' slingshot was chattering - adjusted that, OK. Left rollover that lights up 2 red pops wasn't working. Adjusted that (mangled switch). Seemed OK. Pops 'pop' when they are supposed to, but I have two problems.

1) The pops occasionally (usually first ball) don't score - neither 1 nor (when lit) 10.

2) When the ball activates either of the two pairs of pops, they light up as they should, BUT....when either flipper button is pressed, or when any slingshot is activated, the lit pops all go out.

Operating the four 100 (top playfield) and the two 50 (lower playfield) outer lane wire rollovers has no bad effect - lit bumpers do not go out. Hitting target also has no bad effect.

So: If I manually place the ball in the top part of the playfield and activate the rollover/s manually, all OK while the ball bounces around the lit pops. BUT when ball gets to the lower part of the playfield and touches slingshots (or I press a flipper button) all pop lights go out and pops do not score '10'.

Througout all this, the pops continue to "pop" as they should when hit by a ball.

My experience is limited. I have the schematic. I have no idea what to do next. (Heeeeelp!)

popHelp1_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

You may have a few switches needing attention. first, locate the circuit that controls the pop lites, it may have to be cleaned/adjusted.
have you gon through the machine and tightened switch stacks? cleaned/lubed all the step units? score motor? coin door switches?
have you visited www.pinrepair.com/em

#3 3 years ago

Also the fist trick is recommended. pound on the pf with fist and see if this recreates the problem, ie do you have a loose connection?

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm keen to first try a logical problem-specific approach, as I don't think these two problems existed until I started cleaning switches and making adjustments etc. Tried thumping the playfield already - didn't work. Any other suggestions most welcome.

#5 3 years ago

go back over what you have already done, cant hurt.
it usually takes me twice goin through a game to get it all the way I want it.

#6 3 years ago

Ok Doc - checked all that, no progress. Anyone have suggestions about likely 'short' location (given the symptoms outlined above) or other suggestions? A slightly revised version of the problems description:

Hi, Bought a dead Flipper Parade late last year. (Photo below shows playfield before any work.) Got it going (thanks to Pinside). I've been cleaning it up. Removed and rebuilt the pop bumpers (needed access to playfield areas underneath, and the yokes were broken.) Five pops - two red, two yellow, and one centre white. Re-fitted them to playfield (with wires/plugs added to the lamp holders, to make future removal possible without desoldering/soldering). Tried the game with a ball.
Left 'Leo' slingshot was chattering - adjusted that, OK. Left rollover that lights up 2 red pops wasn't working. Adjusted that (mangled switch). Seemed OK. Pops 'pop' when they are supposed to, but I have two problems.
1) With first ball, pops don't score - neither 1 nor (when lit) 10. They "pop", but no score.
2) When the ball activates either of the rollovers for the two pairs of pops, the pops light up as they should, BUT....when either flipper button is pressed, or when any slingshot is activated, or a pop is hit by the ball, the lit pops all go out.
Operating the four 100 (top playfield) and the two 50 (lower playfield) outer lane wire rollovers has no bad effect - lit bumpers do not go out. Hitting target also has no bad effect.
So to recap: When pops are alight and ball touches slingshots (or I press a flipper button) or ball activates a pop, all pop lights go out and thereafter pops do not score '10' (they score '1').
Throughout all this, the pops continue to "pop" as they should when hit by a ball.

Deep sigh. Are you out there somewhere, Dirtflipper?

#7 3 years ago

They call pop bumpers in England "pops???" Wild... Never knew it...

You'll need to look at the three circuits that are causing the pop bumper lights to go off - pop bumper activation switch circuit, flipper button switch circuit and the slingshots switch circuits. You'll find that all these circuits will have some switch or relay in common. Check these related switches and relays using the schematic to see if they are clean and adjusted properly...

#8 3 years ago

Ok, since you rebuilt the pops, lift the play field, and with a finger, press on the pop skirt, and slide finger around skirt.
do the switches close correctly? i mean, can you see the second half of the switches move when the skirt is pressed?
next, there are relays under the play field that control the pop scoring, manually press the plates, and observe the relay switches.
open/close correctly? none gapped too tight, or too loose?
next, there is a relay or two that turn the pop lights on/off, find it and chk it too.
next, manually test the score relays in the head, correct action?
and, while chking the relays, do any of them seem to be a little sticky? go down ok, but delay to release?
I think you have a weak switch someplace thats causin your headache.
I would go through all the relays, and step units manually, and chk for any funky adjustments.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Fred ... maybe it's just me that calls them pops! Saves a lot of typing. Yes, I need to spend some time with the schematic (we call that a circuit diagram, by the way) - should have done that already, but thought I'd check first whether anyone had had these particular problems. Lazy.
Doc ... Spent two hours 'under the hood' today, and I've now done most of that. No joy so far, but I'll continue at the weekend when I have some more spare time. I appreciate your suggestions guys. I'll post again when I've spent more time on this - and hopefully when I've cracked it.

#10 3 years ago

Ok - despite thumping on the playfield having no effect, problem (2) was indeed vibration. I unscrewed one of the flipper mechanisms and removed the plunger. Now when the flipper was activated, the pop lamps stayed alight. So it wasn't a flipper/slingshot circuit problem, but simply vibration. From there, the obvious thing was to check the switch that turns off the lit flippers when the ball drains. (OK, so I should have done that a long time ago.) Sure enough, it was only just making contact when 'on'. Tweaked the switch blade, all OK. Somewhere along the way problem (1), no pop bumper scoring with first ball, also seems to have disappeared. A few minor problems still to deal with and lots of switch cleaning still to do, but the game is now very playable - and I love it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 89.99
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 85.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 11,500.00
$ 229.99
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 115.00
Boards
AMCO
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside