(Topic ID: 326941)

Gottlieb Fast Draw : How to improve the reset sequence ?

By RovDan

58 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 58 days ago

Hello everybody !

You probably asked yourself the same question as me when starting your Fast Draw (or equivalent flip):

Why do the targets go up (in a stressful noise) when you reset your flip or each time you add a player?

This noisy function is moreover useless because during each new ball, its passage in the corridor will (quite logically) make the targets go up !

Boring with that noise, I fixed it with a easy way.

You can see how to do that with this link :

https://www.retro-flip.com/t11557-Fast-Draw-Optimisation-de-la-sequence-de-Reset.htm

Best regards

Daniel

#2 54 days ago

I'm going to try that, can't get any easier than just tweaking a switch blade so it doesn't close. Thanks!

... Yup it worked, easiest mod I've ever heard of. Only problem is I've owned the game for 25 years and it is going to take some time for me to get used to such a quiet game reset. It does look a little odd now, with the pf not being reset until the ball is in the shooter. And in single player mode it only saves one reset.

Maybe Gottlieb figured hey, the credit button should reset everything immediately no matter what, even if it is superfluous. Or maybe it was a circuitry carryover from other games that actually did need the start relay reset because the runway switch circuitry didn't reset some of the drop banks or relay banks for whatever design reason?

#3 53 days ago

Only flaw I noticed thus far is if the last ball is served to the shooter, and then you shut the game off and on again and start another game. The Extra Bonus light will carry over and still be in effect for the first ball.

#4 52 days ago

I would assume there is an equivalent switch on Quick Draw for the same benefit?

#5 52 days ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I would assume there is an equivalent switch on Quick Draw for the same benefit?

Just an assumption but I would think it would be the same switch.

#6 52 days ago

Yeah, it's the same switch on Quick Draw - red and purple wires on the S relay.

#7 48 days ago

I think a similar QD/FD problem on this game was covered in another post - that issue is around the bonus unit getting hammered repeatedly during the reset cycle... like this one it's a one-switch adjustment fix. Thanks for posting

#8 44 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

I think a similar QD/FD problem on this game was covered in another post - that issue is around the bonus unit getting hammered repeatedly during the reset cycle... like this one it's a one-switch adjustment fix. Thanks for posting

I tried that 'bonus hammering' switch trick but noticed it causes a significant bug, see final post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-fast-draw-bonus-stepper-runs-continuously#post-7301420

#9 44 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I tried that 'bonus hammering' switch trick but noticed it causes a significant bug, see final post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-fast-draw-bonus-stepper-runs-continuously#post-7301420

I'm not following - if not on location, why would this matter (e.g. why would you be resetting why the game is in progress in the first place)?

#10 44 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

I'm not following - if not on location, why would this matter (e.g. why would you be resetting why the game is in progress in the first place)?

I am talking about 'on location' as far as why the switch was put there. That's where the cheating aspect could come into play. As for home play, once in a while I get super flustered with a game that is going right down the toilet from the beginning and decide to just start another game, especially since I'm playing for free. I don't think that is unheard of. New games even have an 'instant restart' setting which will allow you to start a new game instantly. The point is the game as built is able to and should be able to handle a mid-game reset without screwing up the score on the next game. I don't mind mods to save some unnecessary coil firings or whatever but not when it makes something else not work right even if most people may never do at home what will make it show up. The switch does have a legitimate purpose.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.95
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!