Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4P startup issue (resized).jpg
IMG_0338 (resized).jpg
IMG_0337 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Good Afternoon Pinside,

Full transparency, I am a newbie, so I will try to describe in as much detail as I can. I have a 70s Gottlieb Far Out pin and have run into a curious problem. I cannot restart a new game after having four players selected. It doesn't matter if i finish a game with all for players or if I select four players, never finish all balls and power the machine off, the same issue pops up. After either, when pressing the add player button, the Start Relay switch does not engage to reset the game (photo attached of Start Relay). I have to go in and manually engage the Start Relay at this point and it resets. If I select 1-3 players, all works as normal and the Start Relay engages, resetting all of the switches in the control bank.

I have the schematic, have checked all fuses and where possible checked continuity on coils. The switches all seem to be gapped correctly. I have not de-soldered any of the coils in the control bank as of yet.

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction

Thanks,
JP

IMG_0337 (resized).jpgIMG_0337 (resized).jpgIMG_0338 (resized).jpgIMG_0338 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

The first suspect is this switch on ZB. If it is open and PB4 is tripped from playing a previous 4P game, the V and S relays will not activate when the replay button is pressed.

That switch on ZB should be closed (ZB should be tripped) after power up and after the 1st player scores in any game.

Try using a jumper to short it and see if the issue goes away.

4P startup issue (resized).jpg4P startup issue (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago

DaMoib Thank you. I will give it a go!

#4 2 years ago

DaMoib Thanks again!

I was able to spend a little time on the machine last night and wanted to update in the thread.

I focused on ZB as you suggested and verified that after power up and after the 1st plaher scores that ZB was closed. I took a closer look at the blades on ZB with the control bank flipped up, and while they were closed, It looked like the lower blade on the right switch stack maybe wasn't perfect. I cleaned those contacts as best I could and gave it a slight adjustment and tested the game in 4P mode. I was able to cycle through all players and balls and restart a game as normal. Good news right? Here is where it gets interesting.

I ran a through a few tests with the control bank tilted up and it seemed to be working fine. When I put the control bank back down and secured it, the issue came back (but only for 4P). I manually activated the start relay, tilted it back up and ran through a few more tests. They all worked. So, I am wondering if when the control bank is locked in, that it is putting some kind of torque on those switches maybe? Could there be a pinched wire or a short maybe? I did visually check the wire bundles as best I could and didn't see anything obvious.

Final gremlin I ran into and not sure it if is related or not, but I wanted to test it out on a few more simulated games, so I put it back in 4P and manually engaged the switch to cycle between players and balls. I was doing this pretty fast to get through 4P and 5 balls and actually blew the 5A fuse that sits between the line power and the maintenance outlet. Could that be a one off because I was cycling through the players so fast or does it point back to a possible short. I did test 4 or 5 more simulated 4P games and didn't blow the fuse again.

#5 2 years ago

Make sure the control bank is seated firmly into both slots and securely locked. The torque you speak of usually happens when the control bank is not seated fully. If it is squarely in and the issue still occurs, try narrowing the gap on the switch even further... or use a jumper to short it to make sure that switch is the issue.

#6 2 years ago

Regarding the fuse, I'd hold off and see if it happens again. It may have been a consequence of an old fuse coupled with the load of free-wheeling through the players quickly.

To test the restart after a 4 player game issue, it is sufficient to just start a 4 player game AND score some points on P1B1 - the conditions should be set up for the issue to occur, just press the replay button when P2B1 is in the shooter lane.

#7 2 years ago

Speaking for C89, the fuse was new. The original had actually blown a few weeks earlier too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-far-out-won-t-reset-after-4-player-game?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.