You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Far Out chart (resized).JPG
Far Out PU (resized).JPG
74FA69A3-E3C6-44C7-B0DA-DF4C2E6B2C83 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I’ve had this Far Out for about a year and it’s been working with no issues. Over Thanksgiving, multiple 1-4 player games were run with no problem and a couple days ago I played several single player games also with no issues.

Tried playing tonight with no luck. It will run through a full reset cycle, but then gets stuck on Player 1, Ball 1 - no matter if it’s a single or multi-player game.

Looking at the schematic where the Add Player Unit coil is, I think the reset cycle works thru the NC Z1 and Z2 switches, as 1A pulses, then the Player Unit coil fires and the score reels are reset. All this work well. Games resets everything and kicks a ball out.

When the ball goes into the outhole and gets kicked out, it goes over the Trough Switch which fires the P coil which should close the NO P switch on the Add Player Unit circuit. This is where something is not working. When the ball goes over the Trough Switch, the P coil fires, the P switch closes, but the Add Player Unit coil barely moves, almost like a twitch.

Looking at the full chain of switches on the Add Player Unit circuit, the first one on the right is the NC XB switch, this one operates well since the Outhole Kicker works no problem. Next I checked NO SB switch, the NO P switch, and score motor switch 1A with a multimeter, all work well. I have not tried jumpering these switches yet.

Could the issue be that one of the NC score reel reset switches has all of a sudden gone highly resistive so not enough power is getting to the Add Player Unit coil to make it fire?

I’m just trying to understand why the Add Player Unit coil barely fires when the ball rolls over the Trough switch when it fires with no issues during the reset cycle.

Thanks

Alberto

74FA69A3-E3C6-44C7-B0DA-DF4C2E6B2C83 (resized).jpeg74FA69A3-E3C6-44C7-B0DA-DF4C2E6B2C83 (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

When you score points on ball 1, the First Ball relay should trip which will allow subsequent balls to advance the player unit when the trough switch is closed. Since the player unit is twitching, maybe your FB relay is tripping but the switch in it for the player unit is dirty/misadjusted.

#3 1 year ago

It does sound like a switch in the path to fire the "Add Player Unit" coil is not making good contact. The path for the FIRST pulse that fires that coil is outlined in red below:
Far Out PU (resized).JPGFar Out PU (resized).JPG

Since the reset sequence is happening, I would think your Motor 1A switch is opening/closing correctly and the "Add Player Unit" coil itself are fine since those are both involved in that process. Once the score reels are finished resetting, the Z1 and Z2 switches should be closed in parallel with all the score reel switches (effectively bypassing them), so in answer to your question, IF they're closing as they should, the state of the score reel switches shouldn't matter.

All the other switches in the red path should be closed in order for the "Add Player Unit" coil to fire. If you're not getting the first pulse strongly enough, then check those switches. The first pulse to fire the coil should actually be the second pulse from Motor 1A and Motor 2C which should close at the same time, according to the motor sequence chart below:
Far Out chart (resized).JPGFar Out chart (resized).JPG

Switch ZB is on the First Ball Relay, which should energize as soon as you score 10 or 100 pts., and stays that way for the rest of the game - so the ZB switch shown above should be closed (not open as drawn). Switch XB is on the Last Ball Relay and should be closed (as drawn) until the last ball is in play.

Switches XB (Last Ball Relay), ZB (First Ball Relay), Motor 2C and P are NOT involved in the reset process, but ARE involved in firing the coil during gameplay, so I'd suspect any of those, along with Z1 and Z2.

You're getting a slight pulse to the coil, so I would presume that it's not a broken wire causing your problem, just a switch not making good contact.

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

Thanks for all the help gents! It was the NO switch on Motor 2C. It had a high resistance when closed. Cleaned and adjusted it and the game played great through a Christmas celebration where all my pins saw lots of games pit through them.

Happy Holidays!

Alberto

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-far-out-stuck-at-player-1-ball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.