JITB Add Player (resized).jpg
S76MotorStack1 (resized).jpeg
Pioneer Score Motor (resized).jpg
Motor timing chart rev04 (resized).jpg
three-cycle cam (resized).jpg
early score motor (resized).jpg
early score motor (resized).jpg
Far Out Motor 2C error (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaMoib.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

I'd like to resurrect this thread to ask a more general question regarding switch dog settings... Has anyone found any Gottlieb EM machine from the 1963 to 1978 era that violates the following principles:

=======
Whenever a given machine uses switch position 1A, 1C, 2C, 3C, 4A or 4C, a switch dog is installed.

The ONLY switch dog set to the "L" position is the 2C position, ALL others (1A, 1C, 3C, 4A, 4C) are set to "S".

Switch positions 2A and 3A are never used.
=======

I have looked at representative sample of machines from Slick Chick to Jungle Queen and the only exceptions I've found have been due to error (as in this thread) or omission (my Jungle Queen schematic has no switch dogs indicated, but the motor timing chart agrees with other machines).

#9 3 years ago

Thanks!

I was working towards the same goal - a universal motor timing chart. A few of the '60's and early 70's schematics lack a timing chart and I was hoping to add one or, as a minimum, have one at my side when debugging. I've attached my (more traditional) attempt at a general timing chart..

I like your chart, Tim! It eliminates the redundancy, adds flow and compresses the chart down to a handy wallet size! I see you have generated it a full 15 years prior to my attempt. I guess I’m a little late to this party…

In comparing the two, I see we differ on the 1E switch. On both Volley and Spirit of 76 the 1E switch has the same timing as 1C (according to the schematic), but only on every third 120 degree rotation of the motor.

What’s the story on the 1D alternate? How common is that configuration?

Motor timing chart rev04 (resized).jpgMotor timing chart rev04 (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

Here's a pic of an extension plate on Volley that shifts the 1E pulse back to 0 degrees. I imagine a variation of that plate would be used to shift the 1D switch as well.

Actually, looking at it a bit closer, either they were planning an "F" level or that plate can be mounted lower to advance both 1D and 1E timing to 0 degrees.

S76MotorStack1 (resized).jpegS76MotorStack1 (resized).jpeg

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

.... That player unit advance logic is one of the most confusing and difficult to understand circuits in the machine.
- TimMe

On that thought (fact), I've been struggling with this circuit (on JITB, Jungle, Magnotron)... it looks simple, but I'm missing something as to how it works. How does a serial connection of 4A and 4C pass anything more than a glitch the size of a draftsman's pencil line?

JITB Add Player (resized).jpgJITB Add Player (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi DaMoib
at a time the machine wants to activate the XB-Relay. Greetings Rolf

Rolf, thanks... I'd agree IF the Motor switch pair was 4C and 1A, but the schematic says 4C and 4A - which do not line up on the timing diagram (Jungle, which has the same circuit, timing diagram attached). Is it a schematic error or am I missing something? I've always thought I'm missing something simply because the circuit is on 4 player schematics for three years (1972-1974).

Jungle motor timing (resized).jpgJungle motor timing (resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

Wow, that pulse width has to be less than a quarter the size of a 1A pulse (or less, based on a copy of a copy of a copy... of the schematic timing chart). I can imagine them in the lab trying to validate that there is enough energy in the pulse to move the XB armature past the lock point in a worst case situation (misadjusted switches with dirty contacts, fast motor, sticky mechs). Yet it works pretty reliably 50 years later!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaMoib.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-far-out-schematic-error?tu=DaMoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.