Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zFar-Out-Work-2 (resized).jpg
zFar-Out-1 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Any advice how to find this problem? Player one starts fine, just not the rest. Also, several of the component identifying labels have lifted off prior to my ownership so, if anyone has a map or picture of the layout, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

#2 7 years ago

Late model 4 players usually have a stepper on the bottom relay board called the coin unit. It is a 4 position stepper. It gets reset to zero position on first coin drop, and then should step up with each added credit. It should stop at position #4 and open a leaf switch which prevents you from wasting additional credits.

It could be stuck, or, one of the single step ratchet arms may be frozen preventing it from advancing.

I think it is usually just behind the bell chime unit?

#3 7 years ago

I've got one I can send pictures if you need anything specific

#4 7 years ago

Hi faroutintx, CactusJack
The "Far Out" is NOT an "late Gottlieb" - it still has the (I love them) huge Control-Bank near the coin-door. Look at my JPG - then play a 1-player-game - when the last ball is delivered to Shooter-Alley: LB-Double-Bonus-Relay TRIPS - I believe the "LB-Relay is outmost left".

A wild guess - want to check (?): The ZB-First-Ball-Relay (sitting in this control-Bank) has ONE Make-and-Brake-Switch with 3 wires, Middle-blade-is-of-color-Maroon-White, Out-Blades "color not known". Has a wire broken-off ?

I happen to have just sealed my Far Out - Please write WHERE in the pin You should have information --- Backbox ? Greetings Rolf

zFar-Out-1 (resized).jpgzFar-Out-1 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I stand corrected!, Rolf.

I thought far out was new enough to have the coin unit stepper. I guess it took longer for Gottlieb to realize the savings of coast if 3 bank relays vs. stepper. Of course, not knowing the exact evolution, it may have happened when they started using AX relays instead of the control trip bank?

#6 7 years ago

The following information is taken from the August 1974 Gottlieb Magnotron manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup problem with this or other Gottlieb 4-player games from the same period.

1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay (Start relay).
2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
4. 'SB' relay and the total play meter are actuated by switches on motor 1A and motor 4B through a switch that has been closed on 'S' relay.
5. When 'SB' relay is tripped, the reset relays 'Z1' and 'Z2' are energized in sequence to reset the score units and the 'player' unit. 'Z2' opens the circuit to 'Z1' until all the 3rd and 4th player score units are reset through motor switches. When these units are at zero 'Z2' falls out and through a normally closed switch on 'Z2', 'Z1' is energized. 'Z1' stays energized until all the 1st and 2nd player score units are reset through motor switches. At the same time the 'player' unit steps up to its zero position through a motor 1A switch in series with a switch on 'SB' and a run-off switch on the 'player' unit (P5B).
6. The control bank is reset by a switch on motor 4C through a switch on 'U' relay.

7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate the 2nd player relay (PB2) through motor 4B switch; the 3rd player relay (PB3) through motor 2C and PB2 switches; and the 4th player relay (PB4) through motor 1D and PB3 switches; in that order.
      8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the zero position switch on the bonus unit and 'QB'. 'O' relay locks-in through its own switch and a switch on motor 2B. When 'O' relay is energized, motor 4C actuates the ball return coil (which kicks the ball onto the runway) through a switch on 'O' and a normally closed switch on 'XB'. The ball is now on the runway and is ready to be put into play.
      9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor. Switches on 'XB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and motor 1A advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined by the 'Player' unit switches and the player relays (PB2, PB3, PB4).
#7 7 years ago

Hi faroutintx +
I believe I can say "Everything mentioned in a Gottlieb (manual) Start-up Procedure MUST take place".
I also believe I can say "Not everything that happens in a "starting-up Gottlieb pin" is mentioned in the Gottlieb (manual) Start-up Procedure" ---
The "moved Make-and-Brake Switch on the (by now) resetted ZB-Relay is NOT mentioned in the "Far Out Startup Procedure": 7. ... will actuate the 2nd player relay (PB2) through Motor switch 3B (NOT mentioned: AND Switch on ZB relay). Greetings Rolf

zFar-Out-Work-2 (resized).jpgzFar-Out-Work-2 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.99
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-far-out-not-starting-players-2-4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.