Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by maestro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

As soon as I add a credit the ball launches without having to press the right flipper button. It behaves as it should in that if the ball hit no switches and the ball returns to between the flippers it will not launch again until I press the right flipper button. Once a switch is hit or at the start of a new game once the ball returns between the flipper (drains) it auto launches without having to press the right flipper button. Not so familiar with these novelty pins. Is this normal? I checked the ball return relay switch 2A green-yellow to Black-white switch and it is functioning as it should per schematics. Open until ball drains.

#2 1 year ago

No, I don't believe it should auto launch the first ball, I have a Gridiron and doesn't do that.

Do you have the schematic?

#3 1 year ago

My Gottlieb Home Run doesn't auto launch the first ball either.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

No, I don't believe it should auto launch the first ball, I have a Gridiron and doesn't do that.
Do you have the schematic?

Yes I do have the schematic.

#5 1 year ago

My gottlieb home run has the same problem sporadically. I haven’t figured it out yet. Following this one

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from maestro:

Yes I do have the schematic.

Do you also have the start up sequence found in the manual? It should state everything that occurs right up to ball ready to shoot.

#7 1 year ago

Do not have the manual.

#8 1 year ago

A little more investigation... The Ball Return Coil sends a green-red wire to the Ball Return Relay O on a switch where the other side of the switch connects to a Brown-Red wire. In the schematic it shows this switch open. This switch shows continuity open or closed. I pulled the relay off the rail so I could view it from the side and ensured the switch is opening and closing. But yes I am getting a continuity tone on my meter whether the switch is open or closed.
I suppose there could be a short between these two wires. I hope to get back into it tomorrow. I'll disconnect the Green-Red from the coil. Then use a jumper wire from the coil lug to the Green-Red side of the switch at Relay O.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from maestro:

This switch shows continuity open or closed.

There is probably a complete circuit around the switch through a coil and the transformer. Your schematic would tell you for sure. Your meter is just telling you what it sees.

Continuity isn't a good way to check switches unless you've checked the schematic for other paths. A resistance measurement or just a jumper wire are much more reliable.

/Mark

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

There is probably a complete circuit around the switch through a coil and the transformer. Your schematic would tell you for sure. Your meter is just telling you what it sees.
Continuity isn't a good way to check switches unless you've checked the schematic for other paths. A resistance measurement or just a jumper wire are much more reliable.
/Mark

I did think of that but good point. I've not had the chance to get at it. Should some time this week.
The schematic does show from ball return coil to a switch on the ball return relay which is normally open. The other side of this switch goes out to switch 2c on the motor. Between switch 2C and the ball return relay switch this wire does branch off to the wire coming from the vari target reset relay and a normally open switch at that relay.
I'd like to post a pic of the schematic but being Gottlieb I'm sure it would be yanked in no time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-extra-inning-auto-launches-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.