(Topic ID: 216382)

Gottlieb EPROM questions

By swampshroom

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampshroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

i have a few questions regarding gottlieb EPROMs, more specifically for a Spring Break. i have a spring break that needs lots of TLC. i have gotten it to the point that it will power up and sometimes play. i am quite certain it is a re-import. it currently has German roms in it and all the maintenance menus are in German, and not only that, when it does a rom check it indicates that PROM 1 is bad. i reached out to the pinside community a sort time ago asking for some help with burning ROMs with no responses.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-help-from-a-fellow-colorado-pinsider#post-4352151

so i have taken it upon myself to purchase my own EPROM programmer. i have arriving tomorrow a GQ-4X. since ordering i have been doing a lot of research on how to burn roms and Ect. i know that whoever owns the rights to gottlieb has everything pretty locked down as far as rom code and manuals. my questions are these...

*does anyone have spring break roms images that they could pass on to me?
*do the rom images that are on virtual pinball sites work if burnt onto EPROMS
*i found the rom images on flipprojects and would be great to have freeplay enabled without a mod, but the rom image is only for EPROM 1 and this may work
because thats my bad one but my other EPROM would still be in German.
*did i just by a EPROM programmer that will do me very little good because ill never be able to find or purchase the images, and will eventually have to
purchase preprogrammed EPROM chips from whoever has the rights. making my new programmer purchase worthless?
*can the EPROM image files be purchased from whoever hold the rights so that i can download and burn and make use of my programmer

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Brandon

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Anything is available, if you know who to ask....

You are the best!!

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for everyone's replays, suggestions and help. Wanted to do a follow up on this thread in hopes it will help others. A few of my questions were answered and a few were not.
Q1- yes spring break ROMS are out there. Yes, sometimes you just have to know who to ask.
Q2- I have been informed that, yes, the ROMS off of virtual pinball sites do work on physical ROM chips. There are lots of sites, just Google Virtual pinball ROMS.
Q3- this question was rather moot. Once I had a copy of the ROMS. I was able to do a new burn on my existing ROM chips and was able to apply the freeplay feature. I now have English menus and freeplay.
Q4- not useless at all. Last night I was able to burn both of my MPU EPROMS to English code and freeplay. And I was able to burn my audio ROM that was needed. I never had music only sound effects. Quick burn and now I have both. I also plan to burn the new Baywatch ROMs from chadH very soon. This obviously would have been very worthless if it wasn't for very helpfully pinsiders or if pbresource had any tighter grip on there code.
Q5- I have looked into this a bit. The short answer is NO. Without question very little info can be gathered from pbresource website as we all know. And if you have ever spoken to or communicated with Steve Young he is a curmudgeon. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything he does but man does he rub me the wrong way. And yes he will always get my business and if I could find a way to pay him I will. Maybe I'll write my "check" for a few dollars more the next time I order.

Thanks
Brandon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampshroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-eprom-questions?tu=swampshroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.