(Topic ID: 202765)

Gottlieb EM score reels- stick around "9" ?

By shacklersrevenge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've noticed Gottlieb score reels get a little hung up on the 9 digit, (in this case, Target Alpha) even after a good clean/take apart.
This is when there is the most tension on the contacts in the rotation, is it as simple as adjusting the contacts so they're just so? (Man, they gotta be perfect as is, and are a pita to adjust)
who's got a trick up their sleeve for this?

#2 6 years ago

Sometimes, I will cut a couple windings off the return spring to make it pull a little harder and get past the 9 to the 0 position. They also seem to get better about this after some play time.

#3 6 years ago

I suppose the contacts could be the issue but They would really have to be tight- if your not seeing that I would look elsewhere- I dont recall this being quite that sensitive an adjustment in my rebuilds of Gottlieb score reels. Are you sure the actual mechanism is working perfectly from a pure mechanical sense? I would very carefully inspect the reel in question and compare it to another identical functioning version. Sometimes subtle issues add up.

#4 6 years ago

They all score and run correctly, just the 9 on a few different ones hangs up, and if it hangs up, you'll get it flipping the next real a couple times because it didn't pass to zero.

#5 6 years ago

I know that I may get some feed back on this (some will say no oil), but some times after cleaning I have had to go back on ones like this and take them back apart and add a dot of oil in places. I always will pull the coil plunger in with my finger and make sure they are crisp and snappy (fire them with my finger all the way threw 0 to 9 and back to 0) and if I have the issue you are describing after rechecking everything I have had a few I have disassembled and added that dot of oil and all is good.

#6 6 years ago

Is it cycling through and continually firing the coil to try to reset- just not sure i fully understand exactly what is happening. I get that a score reel is not resetting to zero- is it a decagon reel? Does the cycling from the score motor continue until it fixes? Seems like maybe its not a decagon and the reset finishes "normally" but is not complete?

What position is the reel- a ten? Hundred?

#7 6 years ago

Most likely the 9 position switch has to much ‘throw’. You need to carefully adjust it so there is less tension. I don’t remember if this reel has the ‘2 into 1’ blade, but if so it needs to be adjusted evenly. A bit tricky if so. Make sure you bend the blade from the very bottom closest to the switch stack. Hope that helps.

#8 6 years ago

Compare the reel that's not working to another that is. Watch the contact switches. More than likely it's the 9 position switch (outer most switch) that's too tight. Adjust both blades so that they still close when in the 9 position. Comparing to the other reel can help. There's really no trick to this other than a little trial and error. Good luck!

#9 6 years ago

Are these decagon reels? If so, there is a metal arm that rides the inside of the wheel that moves at the 0, 1-8 and 9 positions. It's what moves the switches. We had a problem with one reel and it ended up being that the metal was bent a bit at some point and caused too much tension on the wheel. Had to bend it back a bit then adjust the switches but it's all good now!

Before bending it, we cleaned the entire unit and adjusted all switches but it still caused trouble. Bending the metal wire piece a but was the only thing to fix it. It took a few tries to bend it properly as well

#10 6 years ago

okay so, update:

yes- Decagon.

After reading here and getting some pm tips, I dug into all the reels again that weren't dropping the 9 all the way. I took a loop out of the springs, flattened the curved washer under the clip, cleaned the assembly, and this worked for some, but not all.
For the others, it took fine tuning the switch stacks tension, which are tricky buggers, because if you're just off, you won't get the reels to reset at gamestart, or you won't get the numbers to advance, it's a little like whack a mole but, happy to report that all reels are working correctly with all 9's dropping as intended.

Thanks!

#11 6 years ago

MY TA 1000's reels 9th pos switches are a total finicky pita! Lucky it's a fun machine.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the update!
Glad you got them going, and they usually keep working if you play regularly. perhaps improving...

#13 6 years ago

This is almost always caused by too much tension on the 9 position switch. The switch puts too much pressure on the wireform that moves it, and the other end of the wireform rides on the reel itself, which causes the reel to hang between 8 and 9. Cutting off springs generally is not a good solution for this problem, just careful adjustment of the 9 position switch so it still closes, but doesn't put so much tension on the wireform.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

This is almost always caused by too much tension on the 9 position switch. The switch puts too much pressure on the wireform that moves it, and the other end of the wireform rides on the reel itself, which causes the reel to hang between 8 and 9. Cutting off springs generally is not a good solution for this problem, just careful adjustment of the 9 position switch so it still closes, but doesn't put so much tension on the wireform.

i agree, when this happens 9 times out of 10 it is the blade tension on the 9th position. if that blade is adjust out a bit to relieve the tension it will work just fine without cutting springs or altering the spring washer and no grease/oil needed.
the one time out of ten it doesn't work it is cause by harden grease on the reel and it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Sometimes, I will cut a couple windings off the return spring to make it pull a little harder and get past the 9 to the 0 position. They also seem to get better about this after some play time.

I have found this to be common with Gottliebs, take 3 coils off and a touch of lube on the reel cam and it is a new machine.

#16 6 years ago

Very common issue on Gottliebs. I don't like hacking springs by cutting off coils. Clean everything and adust the switch stacks, and good to go!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Tektune:

Very common issue on Gottliebs. I don't like hacking springs by cutting off coils. Clean everything and adust the switch stacks, and good to go!

Springs do lose tension due to use or heat, you could replace them if a concern. You have nothing to lose cutting coils off.

Scoring reel springs see an incredible amount of cycles, every time they are stretched and released they lose an almost infinitesimal amount of strength. This is well documented in automotive circles be it valve springs or leaf springs.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Tektune:

It's just a spring, 40+ years old at that, and it's not missing one loop removed.

Target Alpha is still dropping 9's and playing excellent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-score-reels-stick-around-9-hell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.