8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm trying to find some play meters for some Gottlieb EM machines. I found out that Gottlieb made meters that had five reels and six reels.

Does anyone know how they determined what kind of meter was used in each machine? Did early 70s machine use 5 reel meters on single player machines and 6 reel meters on multi-player machines? Or did they change from using 5 reel meters to 6 reel meters around 1970?

Also, did Gottlieb use different styles of meters from different manufacturers? I've seen some meters with slightly different style casings and some with white numbers and black reels. I'm wondering if these were OEM or aftermarket meters. But, all of them I've seen have had the correct meter decal on the top front. Thanks...

#2 8 years ago

They also used 4-digit meters on early 50's stuff.

I've only seen 6-digit meters on 70's stuff, but haven't tracked any detail to note a specific pattern of use. And I have seen different style meters used from the factory. Most seem to have been the common metal case design, but I've also encountered plastic case ones.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks! I've seen some five reel meters on some early 70s single player machines, but maybe they were using NOS meters when they were building the machines at that time. Also, I'm thinking operators could have changed the meters around in their machines. I have about four Gottlieb machines where the meters are missing, so maybe some operators didn't want a record of how many plays were on a machine...

#4 8 years ago

Oh, and add-a-ball games typically don't have play meters in them.

#5 8 years ago

Gottlieb didn't make the meters. They simply bought them ready made from any one of the major electromechanical counting meter manufacturers such as Veeder-Root, Kessler-Ellis, or Durant.

The usual pinball parts suppliers sell the meters in whatever voltage or current you need. EM games such as Gottlieb used a 24 VAC counter meter.

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/billiards/42-3140-00

http://www.competitiveproducts.com/list.php?id=63

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-play-meters-counters-coin-meters?hl=pleasespammelate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.