6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

What was the factory leg length of mid '70s Gottlieb wedgeheads? Wasn't there a standard length for all or did different pins have different lengths? Is there a standard length today that collectors prefer? I currently have lengths of 27 1/8", 30 7/8" and 31 1/8" and not sure why as I assumed all would be the same.

#2 6 years ago

pre spirit of '76 they are 31"
    post spirit of '76 inclusive 27"

#3 6 years ago

And while we're at it, I'll note that this leg change also was linked to a door change - smaller door (w/ 31" legs) to the larger door (w/ 27" legs).

More info: http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Wickerman2, that link is what I wanted (couldn't find as I searched for the word 'length').

Next question... Why do I have two sets of legs that differ by half and inch?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Why do I have two sets of legs that differ by half and inch?

I pick-up games with the wrong legs all the time...usually too short. Old williams legs I think are 28.5 as opposed to the 27 and 31 of Gottlieb, I suspect I have a pile of williams or some other random brand legs in my garage. The levelers are usually rusted in place so it does suck to have to buy new legs but getting 4 new easy to adjust levelers makes it nice.

#7 6 years ago

Depends on the manufacturer.

Williams and Bally each utilized legs of approximately 31".

Gottlieb legs can be distinguished by the absence of vertical ribs and the rounded corners of the base where the metal is folded over and the hole tapped for the leg levelers is more of a square corner, even though the tip has a radius, than Bally or Williams.

This base configuration will stand true for a Gottlieb 27" leg compared to Williams legs. Bally legs in the 70's and 80's were 28.5" long with totally square corners at the leveler mount plate. Williams legs throughout time have a broader radius at the base.

The base of the legs for your El Dorado and Volley, even though the leg lengths are different, should be dimensionally the same. Not sure what the other set of about 31" long legs are from. Post a few pictures and we can help you identify them.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated. I'm currently out of the country but will return next week and then can then post some pics. But at this point it seems like my Lucky Hand, which arrived with 27 1/8" legs, are not original right?

#9 6 years ago

If they have the same exact dimensionality at the base as the legs on your ED they are Gottlieb and correct for your LH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-leg-lengths and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.