(Topic ID: 80062)

Gottlieb E.M. Gurus Need a little help!!

By BBC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BBC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Top Score sch 009.JPG
top score 002.JPG
StartPath.jpg
#1 10 years ago

1st game Gottlieb Abracadabra; My first game ever and have had it for over 10 years. Always played great, never a problem til last night. Nothing happens when I hit the start button. Game has credits on it. I cleaned the contacts on the credit unit behind the backglass and they are gapped correctly. I cleaned the jones plug the coin door connects to near the fuses. The game does start and plays fine if i hit the start relay with my finger. Any ideas?

2nd Game Gottlieb Top Score Been fixing this up for a charity auction. game plays great, but will not award a credit for matches or high score thresholds.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

#2 10 years ago

off the top of my head the score motor 2b stack is the start problem check for a dirty switch there.

top score check the max credit switch on the replay unit. it might be closed and that is why you don't get a credit.

this is a good place to start let us know if they don't fix the issues we will throw more things to check your way

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

1st game Gottlieb Abracadabra; My first game ever and have had it for over 10 years. Always played great, never a problem til last night. Nothing happens when I hit the start button. Game has credits on it. I cleaned the contacts on the credit unit behind the backglass and they are gapped correctly. I cleaned the jones plug the coin door connects to near the fuses. The game does start and plays fine if i hit the start relay with my finger. Any ideas?

Similar issue to the recent High Hand thread, so might monitor that for some ideas. The common suspects are the Bounce switch, Anti-cheat switch, and score motor switches at 2B and 1C:

StartPath.jpgStartPath.jpg

Can you add credits via the coin mech switches? If so, then other possible causes are zero pos. on the ball count and credit unit, and the W relay (basically the stuff to the left of the highlighted first path).

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

2nd Game Gottlieb Top Score Been fixing this up for a charity auction. game plays great, but will not award a credit for matches or high score thresholds.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Brian

Does it not work for both players? If so, then Boilerman's suggestion is a good one. If it's just for Player 1, then check the wiper arm on the 10,000's reel to make sure it's making good contact with the circuit board, and that there are no loose wires.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Headed down to try your thoughts now.

Not sure if it didn't work on both players. Will check..

Thanks

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys, top score high threshold does not work for either play.

Cleaned 2 b on Abra, no change. Keep the ideas coming please. I will check out the high hand thread

Thanks, Brian

#7 10 years ago

Abra Cadabra- check th obvious. Clean the contacts for the start button on the inside of the coin door. Add credits to make sure everything on the credit unit moves freely. Make sure the wires on the start relay are OK.

#8 10 years ago

ABRA - I'll hedge my bets on the Motor 1C switch again (see HH thread!) - check it is clean and closed.

Do you have schematic that you can post a picture of?

#9 10 years ago

See if you can hand rotate the motor itself. Rotate the motor about 5 times (with power on) Try to start a game. Rinse repeat. This happened to me once of twice when I first bought my Abra. The self cleaning switches in the motor can have dust build up if not used. Even if you cleaned the 2B.

Is the game in normal "tilt" mode when you turn it on? (Lights on in the backglass and lights on in the coin chute?)
Since you have credits....Does the game start when you manually engage the "Start Relay"?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Thanks guys, top score high threshold does not work for either play.
Cleaned 2 b on Abra, no change. Keep the ideas coming please. I will check out the high hand thread
Thanks, Brian

2B or not 2B - there are seven more switches to check; that is the question...

(groan)

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

2B or not 2B - there are seven more switches to check; that is the question...
(groan)

so bad it was good...

#12 10 years ago

Ok, A little progress on the abracadabra. I think I have a broken wire in the player unit. I jumped the start button together. After cleaning and checking the contacts in the playr unit, I was re attaching the unit and the game started. Seems like the slightest vibration will start it. It is not the contacts though.

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

Now I gotta get to the top score free game problem.

Thanks, Brian

#13 10 years ago

Hmm, there is no Player Unit in Abra though (it's a single-player game). Maybe the Ball Count unit?

#14 10 years ago

Yep, that's it!!

#15 10 years ago

Looks like you have already tracked down the Abra problem.
But just in case, our Flip a Card had this exact same problem. For us it turned out to be the Tilt switch on the cabinet bottom. On ours it was supposed to be closed and it had worked its way open.
Good luck with the problem.

#16 10 years ago

If a game is not awarding a credit for match or score threshhold, check the wiper inside the score reel(s). First, make sure it is present, and check for the proper installation position. The "pointed" end should point between the numbers four and five on the score reel.

#17 10 years ago

Also, be sure the match feature is turned on by plugging the jumper into the proper socket and be sure the plugs are correct for the score threshholds. Not sure with "Top Score", but does it have a selection for replay/add-a-ball? If so, it should be set to "replay" to award credits.

#18 10 years ago

You guys rock. Thanks again for all the ideas!!

#19 10 years ago

I forgot about the Ball Count unit. Yeah I had to refurb mine as well (twice) Now it works awesome.

#20 10 years ago

Ok guys, had a little time to spend with top score tonight. I can't find a max credit switch on the credit unit. All three contacts are closed all the time unless the credit unit is On zero. Also, I don't see a jumper for credit vs replay vs add aball jones plug. I'm stumped!!

#21 10 years ago

On the credit unit switch stack, the top switch pair (with the longest blade) is the one that controls whether more credits can be added. It's normally closed, until the credit unit steps up to (usually) 15 credits, then a post that's on the cam hits that long blade and pushes the switch open. When that switch is open, then no more credits can be added.

The limiter post can be moved on the cam to set to the limit to less than 15 (e.g. 9, 5).

Even if that top switch appears closed, probably fair to make sure the contacts are clean and such.

Does it not add credits on match/high score for both Player 1 and Player 2?

Does the knocker also not fire?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

On the credit unit switch stack, the top switch pair (with the longest blade) is the one that controls whether more credits can be added. It's normally closed, until the credit unit steps up to (usually) 15 credits, then a post that's on the cam hits that long blade and pushes the switch open. When that switch is open, then no more credits can be added.
The limiter post can be moved on the cam to set to the limit to less than 15 (e.g. 9, 5).
Even if that top switch appears closed, probably fair to make sure the contacts are clean and such.

+1 Even if that top credit switch appears closed, I would give it a cleaning & a quick rub with your flexstone. Then I would adjust the switch so it had a tad but more pressure when closed.

#23 10 years ago

Thanks. I will take a look. Meant to mention that it will add a credit when when the ball goes over the star rollover to light special and then I hit the lit target. Also adds credits from the coin door/mech.

Thanks, Brian

#24 10 years ago

OK, it adds credits -- but it does not sense that the credits are there...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

I can't find a max credit switch on the credit unit. All three contacts are closed all the time unless the credit unit is On zero.

Pictured info here,scroll down a bit. > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#26 10 years ago

Hey Brian - how you doing? Dave here in Trivoli

Here's a pic of the area of the Top Score schematic (I have a copy) where the match and high scores meet the knocker. From what you're saying everything is working normally except it's not awarding a replay for matching and high scores.

Matching involves the FS relay - is that unit in the head clean and the blade with the contacts revolving freely with the right tension on the blade? Are match numbers lighting up on the backglass at the end of a game?

High scoring looks to come off of your 1st and 2nd player Ten Thousands units. Looks like PIA (or-gn conductors) - 1st position closet to the shaft - bottom of the player unit - is involved on the high scoring circuit. I had a wedgehead where the first soldered connection on the fiber board on top of the score reel had a solder point marked "C" (closest to you) where there was a conductor broken off - I soldered it back on and my high scoring started awarding replays.

Since you're matching and high scores both aren't awarding credits, you might check your connections on "W" (2nd chute relay) - it looks as if that has to close to operate the knocker and add a credit.

Maybe someone else will see something from the schematic here....

top score 002.JPGtop score 002.JPG

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Thanks. I will take a look. Meant to mention that it will add a credit when when the ball goes over the star rollover to light special and then I hit the lit target. Also adds credits from the coin door/mech.
Thanks, Brian

If it's adding credits via the Special and coin mech, then it's not the switch on the credit unit.

#28 10 years ago

0-9 units are missing a lot of the time. so you either make one or live without the match funtion

Quoted from hoov:

Matching involves the FS relay - is that unit in the head clean and the blade with the contacts revolving freely with the right tension on the blade? Are match numbers lighting up on the backglass at the end of a game?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

0-9 units are missing a lot of the time. so you either make one or live without the match funtion

You'll live without some other features too on many games if you don't have a match unit.

1 week later
#30 10 years ago

Hey Dave, Thanks for the imput!!! I just cleaned the contacts in the 10000 reels and there is a wire off of each. I'm sure that is the problem. Is there anyway to trace what lug the green and orange wire is supposed to be attached to?

thanks, for all your help!!

Brian

#31 10 years ago

If I'm reading the schematic right the knocker has a path to PIA which has a make-break switch containing OR - GR for Player 1 and OR + GR for Player 2. These conductors tied to this switch go the 1st position of the Player 1 and Player 2 score reel boards closest to you marked "O" on the schematic or the 1st position - on my high scoring problem on an Abra Ca Dabra the 1st position of the bakelite board on top of the score reel was marked "C" and that's where my wire was broken off. That the shortest wire to the board and it get's a lot of strain. For some reason the solder job isn't the greatest on these rivet-sized areas.

The schematic shows:

Player 1 + Player 2 have the same color code

0 - connects to P1A to carry your high scores
1 - vacant
2 - BL+BLK
3 - OR+BLK
4 - BR+BLK
5 - GR+BLK
6 - SL+BLK
7 - YEL+BLK
8 - MAR
9 - MAR-WH

Either you can assume if it's broken off the 1st lug of each 10,000's reel and if the wire length is about right to reach the 1st lug on the bakelite board - you could solder one player back on and go test that player before you do the other player.

If you'd rather find someone on Pinside, MPC, or RGP with a Top Score to find out where those wires go that would work.

You can also post a picture here for us to look at.

Good luck.......

#32 10 years ago

Hey Dave, got the first player playing correctly now by jumping the wire to the first lug, but the second player, when I try to jump it to any of the lugs, it seems to add the credits at the scoring threshold, but when I start anew game, and the score reels reset, it adds a credit for every 10000 it goes by to get to zero.

Thanks, Brian

#33 10 years ago

Hmnn,

Not sure on this problem. I did look at my 4 Square score reels (not a 2-player of course) tonight and see where the 1st lug on top of the score reel board marked C was. That's where I laid down my broken conductor on the Abra Ca Dabra. I see the top of the board counts left to right C,0,1,2,3,4,5 and the bottom of the board counts left to right C,0,10,9,8,7,6.

I laid mine down at the start of the sequence count - the top of the board on C. Is that where you laid down both Player 1 and Player 2 - both on top of the board on C where the sequence count starts?

Maybe a picture of both score reels would help.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Hey Dave, got the first player playing correctly now by jumping the wire to the first lug, but the second player, when I try to jump it to any of the lugs, it seems to add the credits at the scoring threshold, but when I start anew game, and the score reels reset, it adds a credit for every 10000 it goes by to get to zero.
Thanks, Brian

This part of the logic is just at the top of the schematic portion that Hoov pictured, but is clipped off so can't see the complete part of it. From the "2nd Player Ten Thousands Unit" that drops down into the Add Replay Unit coil.

#35 10 years ago

Here's a pic of that schematic that shows the logic better.

Also, I was wrong on the sequence on the 4 Square bakelite board last night. The top row counts C,0,1,2,3,4 and the bottom board counts C,9,8,7,6,5

Top Score sch 009.JPGTop Score sch 009.JPG
1 week later
#36 10 years ago

I got a couple of these problems fixed and wanted to make sure to have them here for the archives.

Abracadabra It was the tilt in the head that was not making good contact.

As for the the top score, both of the wires that were off needed to be connected to the "C" on the bakelight board. Someone had to disconnect them on purpose.

You called it on the C HOov!!!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!

B

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-gurus-need-a-little-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.