• Latest reply 6 years ago by BBC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

New game to me, Gottlieb Duotron, 1974. Here are the symptoms: with credits on the on the game, I push the start button, the Start relay pulls in, but only for the score motor to do a 1/3rd rotation. during this 1/3rd rotation, the PB, 2nd player relay on the relay bank trips and everything stops.

for some reason, the score motor will not continue to run, and I am stumped. I have been thru every contact on the bottom board, score motor and relay bank. Also the player unit in the head. I do not have a schem., but will be ordering when I order rubbers for the game.

any advise will be be appreciated!!!

Thanks, brian

#2 6 years ago

Your score motor home position switch (called the "runout" switch) is opening too early or is permanently open and is stopping the cycle before it can be triggered again perhaps

#3 6 years ago

thanks, which switch is that on the score motor? Thanks again!!

#4 6 years ago

Ooh boy, I'm not sure - I think it might vary too. Check on the inside of your cabinet, before this time it was usually stapled inside of the cabinet along with the rest of the score motor switch positions, but unfortunately around the time Duotron came out they started to not use these and they put them on a special area of the schematic instead.

If I had my Magnotron schematic with me I'd let you know myself (they're probably the same) but unfortunately it's not here.

Perhaps somebody with another multiplayer schematic of the period will show up.

#5 6 years ago

Check Motor 1C, I forget I had a few Gottlieb schematics I downloaded for the hell of it online

#6 6 years ago

thanks, I'll check tonight!!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Ooh boy, I'm not sure - I think it might vary too. Check on the inside of your cabinet, before this time it was usually stapled inside of the cabinet along with the rest of the score motor switch positions, but unfortunately around the time Duotron came out they started to not use these and they put them on a special area of the schematic instead.
If I had my Magnotron schematic with me I'd let you know myself (they're probably the same) but unfortunately it's not here.
Perhaps somebody with another multiplayer schematic of the period will show up.

They put them in the manual, not on the schematic.

The schematic will have the various levels of the score motor, how many switches on each level, and the normal state of the switches in each stack at each level. The schematic also had the motor sequence on it, but what each individual switch in each individual stack did was in the manual.

I would think the ultimate EM guide creator would be aware of this.

In any case, 1C inside switch would be the runout switch you're looking for. I don't think that's the issue, but it won't hurt to look at it.

You didn't mention what the score reels etc are doing during the motor cycle.

#8 6 years ago

The add coil on the player unit should start firing and move the startup along. The circuit should run thru the P3 and P4 switchstacks on player unit, motor switch 1A, reset control relay on bank and a switch on P5.

#9 6 years ago

I have a strange thing happening. I hit the start, it does the 1/3 turn, then the 2nd player PB coil fires and shuts the whole thing down. the reset coil never fires.

#10 6 years ago

Looking at schematics for Jumping Jack which I believe would be similar to Duotron. Check the ZB contacts...if they are bunched up that would cause the PB relay to trip immediately and prevent SB2 from operating.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

thanks so much, will look tonight.

#12 6 years ago

If the score motor is turning 1/3 turn upon hitting the credit button, the score motor run-out switch is OK. It is N/O at the end of each rev.

Per the schematic shown, SB2 is probably operating properly as well, meaning nothing is wrong with the ZB relay. Since the game is silent when SB2 trips, (at the end of the 1st score motor rev), it may be the secondary or multi-player reset completed relay, which will keep the score motor running, allowing more time for the score reels to reach "0." You can manually reset the SB2 relay to see if the reset continues on once the game stops. I can't tell by relay abbrevs, I need to know the full name of the relay to be accurate.

I would also try removing the entire bank assembly from it's housing bracket and rest it on top, (without tightening the wing nuts), and try restarting again. Make sure 1st ball, last ball, game-over/tilt relays are tripped before simulating. Many times, housing the unit limits the bank reset bar of it's full travel and may not make or break all the switches properly, yet, everything may look good upon visual inspection because you lifted the unit out of its bracket. Lifting the bank out of the bracket will allow more room for the bar and may give you different results.

2 weeks later
#13 6 years ago

Hi Guys, I have made major progress. Only thing not working now is the ZB 1st ball relay. Game starts fine, plays the 1st ball, but the ZB never gets triggered, so it stays on 1st ball. When I manually trigger ZB, the game works great. Any ideas?

Thanks, Brian

#14 6 years ago

Brian,

the 1st-ball relay normally gets energized by the 10 or 100 point relay, (in the backbox). There is a N/O switch on each of these relays that closes when these points are scored.

The 1st-ball relay itself has a N/C switch, (when NOT tripped), that completes the circuit to its own coil, (so when the relay trips, can turn the coil off). If this switch doesn't have contact, the relay will never energize. This is the most common problem.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks boatcat. I'll check those!!'

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-guru-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.