Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.10.16 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.09.56 PM (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I'm still working on restoring my 1972 Gottlieb King Rock. I'm about 95% there and working on smaller and smaller details.

I'm currently trying to iron out some weird inconsistencies in how the machine is handling coins.

First off, I have the manual and schematics, but as I had mentioned in a prior post, my machine does not match up to either when it comes to the coin handling setup.

For example, though they appear on the schematic and the manual, my machine does not have an X (2 Play Relay) or Y (2 Coins per play relay). It has only the W (3rd Chute Relay). The only jumper adjustment I have for pricing is a "Extra Chute Adjustment" that seems analogous to the "3rd Chute Adjustment" that is described in my manual. These are clearly not operator modifications as its clear that these features were never installed in my machine by the factory.

I have two coin chutes, and as far as I can tell, both are wired to the W relay and when a coin is inserted it adds a player and advances the replay counter by one (based on my 3rd Chute Adjustment setting being on 2 plays - it has no one coin one play option). So far so good... I plan on putting "25 cents for 2 plays" decals on the machine and all would be well. But here is the weird part...

If there are one or more credits on the Replay Counter wheel and the replay button is pressed, about 75% of the time the game will advance the player counter by one, decrement the Replay counter, BUT THEN ALSO ADVANCE THE REPLAY COUNTER back up again. So you end up with the same amount of credits on the machine even though you just spent one. But not always - sometimes it works fine.

From watching the relays fire, what seems to be happening is that upon pushing the Replay Button the S (start) relay fires, the score motor turns and the W relay trips which is advancing the Replay Counter. But not always, sometimes just the S relay fires and all is well - the credit wheel goes down one and stays down. At first I thought it was doing this 1 out of 3 times, which would tell me its something about the score motor, but its not that consistent. I have not been able to find a pattern except that it is much more consistently adding the credit back than it is operating properly.

I've posted the relevant parts of the schematic in case that helps... But keep in mind, I only have the W relay circuit in my machine, no X or Y...

I'm stumped... Anyone have any ideas?

- Gblaz

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.09.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.09.56 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.10.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.10.16 PM (resized).png

#2 7 years ago

I'd first inspect the coin switches to make sure they are adjusted properly. Also check the wire lugs on the switches to make sure the lugs or wires aren't too close to each other. I'm thinking during the reset there is some vibration and it makes one of the coin switches close and then adds one credit. It would only add one credit instead of two credits, because that process would "motor out" during the reset of the game.

Also, you would need to find the circuits that send power to the credit unit advance solenoid. Check the following switches:

Score motor switch 1A - switch with red/white wire and blue/red wire
X relay - switch with blue/red wire and yellow blue wire
Score motor switch 1D - switch with blue/red wire and green/white wire
Score motor switch 4B - switch with green/white wire and brown/white wire
Score motor switch 4C - switch with brown/white wire and orange/white wire
Score motor switch 2C - switch with orange/white wire and blue/white wire
W relay - switch with blue/white wire and brown/white/red wire
15th position switch - switch with brown/white/red wire and slate wire

Check the adjustment, wire lugs and wire connections on all of those switches...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-coin-doorreplay-counter-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.