(Topic ID: 87887)

Gottlieb EM coin door repro quality - like, what's your opinion man?

By dasvis

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-976.jpg
image-778.jpg
image-848.jpg
front.JPG
rg inside.jpg
image-457.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nick-the-greek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago

Put the backing bar in and attach it with one Allen screw in the top hole. Then fit the door usinng another screw in the bottom hole, don't tighten the screws, just a few turns in will do. When the door is on, remove the top screw and put 'em all in though the hinge. It's a piece of cake.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

And I have no idea how I did forget that. The source of much misery and frustration.
I had a Big Indian that occasionally would light up two adjacent match numbers, which I figured was just an alignment problem. I checked and checked it, never did find it. Wiper aligned properly, nothing apparent that would connect the traces together.
But I was trumped by a friend of mine who had three adjacent match lights light up on an Atlantis. I couldn't even begin to figure how that was even possible.
What also makes that unit a mess is that it is often used to control other features on the game. Operators in AAB only places took it out and never put it back, so you have to find one.
Not one of Gottlieb's better moments.

My Pro Football was lighting two ball inserts at once. The stepper was, as with yours, stepping to every contact perfectly, and I'd cleaned the circuit board as well. It turned out to be some sort of conductive material between the copper conductors. I couldn't work it out for a while, but in the end and in desperation, I cleaned the Bakelite between them with the edge of a screwdriver. Hey presto, problem cured, and it hasn't returned. There isn't much of a gap between those Copper conductors, so I guess a little bit of contamination is enough.

#24 9 years ago

I reckon Gottlieb must have had a good reason to design it like that. Maybe it gave a better feel, maybe it allowed for a range of adjustment and the springiness of the wire evened it out, maybe it allowed for shorter cable runs to the coils, making the flippers a bit more energetic. I really have no idea why it was designed like that but I'm sure there was a good reason. It certainly wasn't cost, it would have been mach less expensive, and much simpler, to put the switches on the cabinet sides, right by the buttons. As they made the games less expensive to manufacture, that is exactly what they did.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nick-the-greek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-coin-door-repro-quality-like-whats-your-opinion-man?tu=nick-the-greek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.