Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SwitchTAB 004.JPG
SwitchTAB 003.JPG
SwitchTAB 002.JPG
SwitchTAB 001.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Figured out(I think) why my #5 was never activating on Flip-A-Card. There's a broken switch tab/loose wire. I have some spare switch parts, was going to take apart and see if I could replace that switch. The entire stack comes loose as a whole unit and doesn't seem to want to separate in to its pieces. What's the best plan of attack for a broken tab? Is the stack just stuck together and needs more elbow grease to come apart(I didn't want to force it too much)? Any help would be appreciated.

SwitchTAB 001.JPGSwitchTAB 001.JPGSwitchTAB 002.JPGSwitchTAB 002.JPGSwitchTAB 003.JPGSwitchTAB 003.JPGSwitchTAB 004.JPGSwitchTAB 004.JPG

#2 9 years ago

There are little plastic tubes that hold the bakelite segments in a stack. If you take the screws out you should be able to gently pry the segments up from one end of the stack. They can be a little tricky to get apart after 40 years tightened together but will come loose with some patience. Just make a mental note (or better yet a picture) of how the stack all goes back together.

#3 9 years ago

I'm giving it my best shot and coming up empty...I'm afraid I will mangle it. The extra switches I have had the plastic tubes in them and I had to use a punch to get them out. Any other "tricks" to this or recommended tools?

#4 9 years ago

Hmm, that is frustrating. You could cheat and solder the wire to the remnant of remaining tab. It wouldn't be as satisfying as replacing the switch but would work.

#5 9 years ago

I was think of that but it's the tiniest piece showing so I'm not sure I could pull it off. Now, I'm trying to do this on the machine--should I desolder all the switches in the stack and pull the whole thing out to operate on it? I REALLY wanted to avoid that because the thought of re-soldering all that in such a tight space is not fun.

#6 9 years ago

Maybe I'll clean up the wire and "try" to get it on the broken tip of the tab...what's the worst that could happen(in my mind I solder a blob all over the stack and burn a couple other wires)?

#7 9 years ago

I use a small flat blade screwdriver to get in between the spacers, and then work them apart. (I've actually filed the tip of the blade to have more of a point on it, just for this purpose.)

They will come apart, but it takes some doing. Once they start moving though, then they'll generally come right off. Need to work one end up a bit, then the other end, and so on.

#8 9 years ago

Yeah use a tiny screwdriver to pry them apart and stick a new switch blade in there. Really the only way to do it.

I'd reccommend taking some pictures before you do...most likely the whole thing will fall apart on you and you'll want to remember what it looked like before you took it apart.

It really IS a pain in the ass - for that reason I'd suggest trying to solder the wire directly to that broken tab first. As far as these things go you actually do seem to have a generous amount of tab still hanging out of the stack, it may work.

Bakelite isn't that tough - you could also try prying the stack open/chipping a little away a bit before soldering, and cram a little of the wire in between the bakelite plates before soldering to what's left of the tab. You really want to try this before taking that whole switch stack out. This isn't board work you have a little room for sloppiness here.

#9 9 years ago

Oh, one more thing - I put the screwdriver blade into where the topmost switch is (since there's a small gap made by the switch), and then leverage up on top of the switch to raise the spacer. Remove the top spacer first, then work down.

#10 9 years ago

Take out the screws and remove the switch stack. Take a picture. The best tool I have found to separate the bakelite spacers is an X-acto blade. It is hard to do and will take some force, but it is not really that bad. Put the blade in at one end, then the other and work back and forth and you won't bend and snap the separators. When you have made a gap, switch to a small screwdriver. The spacers are pretty tough, and even if you knock off a corner or snap one in two, you can generally just put the pieces back in and push them on to the tubes.

You don't have to remove and replace the blade with the broken tab- just cut a tab off one of your spare switch blades and solder the wire to that tab. Then put the cut off blade on top of the blade that has the broken off tab. The screw pressure will make the electical contact between the old blade and new cut-off blade.

Don C.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

You don't have to remove and replace the blade with the broken tab- just cut a tab off one of your spare switch blades and solder the wire to that tab. Then put the cut off blade on top of the blade that has the broken off tab. The screw pressure will make the electical contact between the old blade and new cut-off blade.

DID IT!! Used a little bit of everything. Filed a screwdriver near razor sharp, did the stack painfully slow 1 at a time(snapped 1 non bakelite spacer piece but it fit back in stack), cut one of my extra switches and actually left an entire hole connected to the tab so it would stay on the stack easier. Soldered it up and stacked back together and screwed tight....the 5 works! Game is 100% working now(for now?)!!

Thanks for all the help...I was near ready to give up on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-broken-switch-tab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.