Surf Champ Backbox Full01 (resized).jpg
Surf Champ Backbox Match Numbers01 (resized).jpg
Surf Champ Backglass Match Numbers01 (resized).jpg
Surf Champ Backbox03 (resized).jpg
SC_BG Back_01 (resized).JPG
Surf Champ Backbox02 (resized).jpg
Surf Champ Backbox01 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I removed the backglass from my Surf Champ and noticed remnants of something sticking to the backbox - seems like it must have been thin beerseal or something to protect the backglass from rubbing against the backbox. It's now almost completely flattened, and there are very few remnants of it on the backglass - notably exception being around the game counter.

I'm reaching out to bgresto to have my glass restored but am wondering what, if anything, I should put on the backbox - and where I should put it - to protect the glass. Can anyone tell me what Gottlieb used? And what does everyone use now?

SC_BG Back_01 (resized).JPGSC_BG Back_01 (resized).JPGSurf Champ Backbox02 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox02 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox03 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox03 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox01 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure Gottlieb used a low density foam in those areas. Kinda like the foam you'd see on a foam paint brush. Not sure if you can get it in rolls these days though. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the high density foam you see in weather stripping and beer seal though. I tried using it recently, and it put way too much pressure on the glass. It didn't have enough "give."

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Kinda like the foam you'd see on a foam paint brush.

Thanks for the idea, perfect! I have two to put it on, probably spray a light coat of silicone release spray on it to keep it from sticking again.

#4 5 years ago

i use the fuzzy side of velcro on all my restores, comes with sticky back on a roll.

#5 5 years ago

I use adhesive-backed felt from the craft store.

#6 5 years ago

Lots of good suggestions - thanks!

Another question: How many and where do you place them? As you can see from my backbox, there wasn't any foam placed at the top near the match numbers, and it's pretty clear that that area of the backglass was roughed up by it. There was also none placed in the top corners.

Do you usually just go with the four corners, or add some at other spots as well?

Surf Champ Backbox Full01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox Full01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox Match Numbers01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backbox Match Numbers01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backglass Match Numbers01 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Backglass Match Numbers01 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

You can buy foam tape in a roll. Usually used around windows etc. Most big hardware stores sell it.

0AF638C6-5B21-4E00-A312-955E8F78D3D1 (resized).jpeg0AF638C6-5B21-4E00-A312-955E8F78D3D1 (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

place it where it makes sense, usually i follow where the foam was and might add 1 or 2 pieces

#9 5 years ago

Does anyone else have problems with the clearance in the box? I was going to try Scotch felt furniture pads, but they're about 3/16" thick. I measured the backbox clearance for the backglass and at it's widest spot (the bottom) it's only 1/4" wide. Since the backglass is 1/8" thick it is a VERY tight fit. And the clearance at the tops and sides of the box are only 3/16", which is not enough space to accommodate both the glass and the felt.

Frost King rubber foam weatherstripping is even thicker than the felt (5/16") and while it will give, it will be firmly pressed against the glass, which I fear may lead to some of the rubber transferring to the back of the backglass.

Guess I'll have to look for thinner foam or felt...

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipS:

Does anyone else have problems with the clearance in the box?

You wouldn't believe the clearance problems I encountered with Williams Merry Widow, EVERYTHING had to be removed from the back box to get the glass out, even then it was super tight. The back electronics board was so close to hitting the glass when tilted I had to jut it out further and install "L" brackets.
It will still take some doing to get it right.

#11 5 years ago

I've not had clearance problems with this stuff:
C70C87F6-0C67-4943-8CA4-88D467746A97 (resized).pngC70C87F6-0C67-4943-8CA4-88D467746A97 (resized).png

Shepherd Hardware 9433 6-Inch x 18-Inch Self-Adhesive Felt Pad, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YOI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MwJICbXV8R5K2

#12 5 years ago

Thanks, JeffC! Yeah, that looks like it's only about 1/8" thick (3mm), which should give just enough clearance. I saw some other felt pads online that were even thinner - as thin as 1mm - but I'm not sure that they would provide enough padding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-backglass-backbox?hl=chips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.