4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jacks Open Match lights (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Centigrade 37 issues with no match number lighting at game over. All other features on the game work.
I inspected the AS/FS relay and replaced the ratchet, drive finger and springs. The unit advances smoothly during game play.
While checking the wiring for possible breaks, I checked the wire colours. All of the wire colours from the light bulbs to the female connectors match up with the wire colours on the male connectors, and these are correct for 00-90 according to the schematics. On the AS relay disc the wires do not connect to their corresponding number (example - the wire from the 40 bulb is connected to the 7 on the disc). The soldering at all points on the disc looks pretty consistent (does not look like it has been disconnected/reconnected/hacked). Is it possible this relay was from a different game?
Looks like I have some soldering work ahead.

#2 4 years ago

Certainly possible. And likely.

#3 4 years ago

On all of my Gottlieb games, the numbers the wires connect to do not match with the match number. They are in sequence, but are offset by several numbers for some reason.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Certainly possible. And likely.

Thanks for the reply. Off to the soldering station I go. Cheers

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from CromwellCat:

Centigrade 37 issues with no match number lighting at game over. All other features on the game work.

Do you mean that the game does occasionally award a match but that the match number never lights up? If so, it's more likely to be the switch that enables the match lights than the wiring to the lights. Here's an example from Jacks Open. Your game likely has a similar switch.

Jacks Open Match lights (resized).jpgJacks Open Match lights (resized).jpg

/Mark

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Do you mean that the game does occasionally award a match but that the match number never lights up? If so, it's more likely to be the switch that enables the match lights than the wiring to the lights. Here's an example from Jacks Open. Your game likely has a similar switch.
[quoted image]
/Mark

Thanks Mark. Interesting point, I haven't paid much attention to whether the match works without the lights. Yes, that is the same on my schematic. I traced the wire back to the "R" relay and had continuity. Next step is to check the rest of that relay. Cheers

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from CromwellCat:

I traced the wire back to the "R" relay and had continuity.

I'm not sure what you mean but beware that continuity doesn't tell you much. Your meter could see continuity on a different path than you think, through one of the match bulbs, then through the transformer and fuse and back to the other side of the switch for example. Unless you can measure an ohm or less across that R relay switch when it's closed I wouldn't dismiss it.

#8 4 years ago

Use a clip lead and jumper around the R relay to light the match function all the time. Then you can manipulate the score so there is a match at the end of the game. If that all works, then you can isolate where the problem is — either getting power to the FS unit or within the unit itself. Don’t forget the Jones plugs.

Good luck,
Dave

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Use a clip lead and jumper around the R relay to light the match function all the time. Then you can manipulate the score so there is a match at the end of the game. If that all works, then you can isolate where the problem is — either getting power to the FS unit or within the unit itself. Don’t forget the Jones plugs.
Good luck,
Dave

Thanks Dave. I will try that. Cheers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-as-fs-00-90-relay-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.