Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gerry
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a chance to buy a gottlieb eclipse pinball machine. It's pretty rare. What's ur guys opinion on it?
Eclipse: All working boards completely rebuilt, PF 8 of 10 with two chipped plastics, BG 8 of 10, cabinet 8 of 10. He wants to sell it for a thousand and 1400 shopped.

#2 11 years ago

It's a fun game, but keep in mind it is Black Hole without the lower pf. The art is nice looking. I would pick one up someday but probably not for $1400.

#3 11 years ago

He said he would sell it for a grand unshopped. I wonder if it would have a lot of issues like black hole even though it doesn't have the lower . Does it have any speech? Is it still a as much a challenge as black hole?

#4 11 years ago

I like mine. Eclipse has no speech and I think it's much harder than Black Hole. I've never flipped the score on Eclipse but I have several times on BH. Is the one you're looking at in a James Bond cabinet (a kit conversion) or the correct purple one?

#5 11 years ago

He said its a kit done by the factory since the ran out of cabs so they just used the James bond ones. Lol well I'm lookin for a challenge soooo.... this may be it. How's the fun factor. Does it want you to play again and again

#6 11 years ago

Hm, I would like to see/know where he got his information from. Never heard that one before. As far as I know, the only factory made games came with the purple cabinets and any James Bond cabinets that had Eclipse playfields and backglasses were conversions on route.

It has some of the same rules as Black Hole with regards to getting multi-ball. Hit the 4 yellow stationary targets on the right and then get the ball into the lower right saucer to trap it. Then you need to hit the 4 stationary targets left/center of the playfield with the next ball to light the upper ball trap (same spot to sent the ball down to the lower playfield on Black Hole). Then you have send the ball up there and plunging the next ball onto the playfield starts multi-ball. That's where the rules change.

While you're in 3 ball multi, everything on the playfield scores 3X. When you lose one ball, the playfield scores 2X. All drop targets add to the bonus IIRC. The play is fast because of the obstructions in the center of the playfield. You have less time to react to a ball rebounding back at you.

To get the bonus 5X scoring, you have to start by sending the ball into the lower left saucer, this gives you 2X. Then you have to knock down all the drop targets in order, starting with the 3 drop targets in the middle right of the playfield (3X). The 4 drop targets on the right then give you 4X. The 5 drop targets on the upper left give you 5X.

I forget how you get extra ball.

There's a lot going on and things can get too busy for some players to follow. I think that's partially why there isn't a big following for this game. That, and the sounds aren't that great, IMHO, they don't really match the art/theme. Still, that said, it's a keeper for me and I play it a lot when it's set up.

Quoted from GizzArd:

He said its a kit done by the factory since the ran out of cabs so they just used the James bond ones. Lol well I'm lookin for a challenge soooo.... this may be it. How's the fun factor. Does it want you to play again and again

#7 11 years ago

Thanks so much for spending the time to explain the game to me. He just dropped the price to nine hundred. I'm still undecided. I really like the rules it may be a little much. Lol well on the other hand I am looking for a game that would be a challenge and last a while. Oh what to d

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

Thanks so much for spending the time to explain the game to me. He just dropped the price to nine hundred. I'm still undecided. I really like the rules it may be a little much. Lol well on the other hand I am looking for a game that would be a challenge and last a while. Oh what to d

I think you could spend a little more($200-$300) and find yourself a quality Data East machine that will keep you challenged and interested much longer than Eclipse.

Heck for $1000 you should be able to pick a a decent Black Hole.

#9 11 years ago

just get a BH. much cooler.

#10 11 years ago

Yeah he's selling a black hole for 1000 also. I just heard that they have a lot of maintenance issues

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

Yeah he's selling a black hole for 1000 also. I just heard that they have a lot of maintenance issues

I find that to be quite false. Go through the guides, do all of the updates and ground mods and it becomes a rock solid player. You would have to do it with the Eclipse anyway.

#12 11 years ago

Awesome I'll read up on it more. Thnx

#13 11 years ago

Yep, I agree too, there's a lot of good info in those guides. The Eclipse is just a kit in a James Bond cabinet, go for a Black Hole if possible (I have both) and do all the mods including the upkicker mod. Eclipse is harder to play but the Black Hole is more fun with a group of people.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I find that to be quite false. Go through the guides, do all of the updates and ground mods and it becomes a rock solid player. You would have to do it with the Eclipse anyway.

#14 11 years ago

Is this Aaron that's selling?

Quoted from GizzArd:

#15 11 years ago

No some dude in pa? He is still workin on the sound issue.

#16 11 years ago

Hm, a Black Hole was listed for sale yesterday in MI by Aaron on RGP for the same price or best offer.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/8d501803ed73b260?hl=en# Here's the link if you want to look into it.

Quoted from GizzArd:

No some dude in pa? He is still workin on the sound issue.

#17 11 years ago

Nope that's not it. It's actually a guy who I know from Lancaster area and since I bought his last pin. He's giving me dibs on either eclipse or black hole

1 year later
#18 10 years ago

Did you ever buy the Black Hole or Eclipse?

#19 10 years ago

According to his game list and wish list, nope. I'll have a Black Hole for sale real soon now.

Steve

Quoted from badreality:

Did you ever buy the Black Hole or Eclipse?

#20 10 years ago

I would like that eclipse... if you pass on it LMK thanks

#21 10 years ago

Gerry, that post was over a year old, I wonder who got it by now.

Steve

Quoted from Gerry:

I would like that eclipse... if you pass on it LMK thanks

#22 10 years ago

Oh, i didnt notice that..Dee-Da-Dee !

I dont know.. wish it was me !

I think that was plenty cheap !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-eclipse-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.