• You are a heretic for even asking. 1 vote
    20%

(5 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171128_161825 (3) (resized).jpg
ec132fc90b4bb838336bf9d3dee5fe601e43a573 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Recently acquired an Eclipse, sight unseen. One of the few(?) complete models produced (vs kit) in its original cabinet.
Now that someone has seen it, ~3000 USD to restore? Better estimate in the works and pics forthcoming.

I’m reluctant to simply hang the backglass and playfield on the wall and call it quits, scrapping and parting the rest, because I think there were only so few produced (~190 according to ipdb.org). Thoughts? I have this non rational feeling to treat it like an endangered species.

Any Gottlieb System 80 (blackhole/eclipse) experts waiting to revive this machine for a fee or purchase and grant a new lease on life: I'm in Vancouver Canada. Can ship within CND or to Seattle/Portland.
Or simply put it out of its misery?

Pic courtesy of @pinsiders.

ec132fc90b4bb838336bf9d3dee5fe601e43a573 (resized).jpgec132fc90b4bb838336bf9d3dee5fe601e43a573 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'm biased as I own one of them in an original cabinet. I think it would be a sin to put it out of it's misery. Is there no reason it can't be played as is?

#3 6 years ago

It's a rare game. I'd try to save it. It's rare that a game is actually well beyond saving. Termites and significant wet rot are the only things that I usually turn away from.

If you have a retailer restore it top to bottom, then yes, it's going to be expensive--so don't get discouraged by that. Most hobbyists do their own work, or only farm out portions or individual parts that may need work done that they can't do themselves. I know of one person who repairs and repaints cabinets, but you'll have to strip everything out of it yourself before he works on it. There are a handful of people who repaint and clear coat playfields, but again, you'll have to dismantle it on your own.

Have you done any repair work before?

Posting photos would allow folks here to give you a better assessment of the actual condition of the machine.

If you feel it's too much for you to handle, you can always pass the game along to someone else who is capable of doing the repairs.

#4 6 years ago

I know a guy who might be willing to trade you an NOS Playfield and Backglass if you'd rather display it.

#5 6 years ago

Shop can power it on, but everything is locked. Breaking down the scope of work now and will post over the next week or so.
All OEM excluding a RD MPU80 replacement.
Anyways, its been over 48 hours. I'm too attached now to part it...

Absolutely new to machine repair. I bought this on a lark mostly because it was cheap and I liked the 80's comic book art.
I'll leave it with the techs to sort out the power supply/circuit board/wiring harness issues.
But I'm a mech eng, so I can probably figure out the hardware replacement/repair and the simple solder.

What's it like to play: Just like BH?

20171128_161825 (3) (resized).jpg20171128_161825 (3) (resized).jpg

2 months later
#6 6 years ago

Three months ago bought two machines from craigslist as a project. Graduated quickly from "I'm a mechanical engineer, how hard can it be to fix a pinball machine?", to "WTF is all the wiring and PCB stuff?!?", to "Ok, now I know the difference between a logic probe and leaf switch wrench". Got my Williams Sys 9 SSh fully functional now (with help from Pinside past and present and a tech in Vancouver). And have now quickly decided why have one pinball machine when you can have two. Will start on this one in a couple months.

3 months later
#7 5 years ago

Let us know how its going. Love to see pictures. (A proud Eclipse owner)

#8 5 years ago

pics pics pics pics

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-eclipse-original-cabinet?hl=seaottre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.