Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brutilus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this an interesting idea or should I be burned at the stake for even thinking about it?”

• Sounds like a good idea! 0 votes
  • I'm getting the gasoline right now... 5 votes
    56%
  • Meh 4 votes
    44%

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140113_220728 (resized).jpg
20140113_220619 (resized).jpg
20140113_220655 (resized).jpg
20140113_220507 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have a Duotron that I bought as a project machine years ago. I had it fully functional for a while, now the machine is non-functional. The 2nd player reels constantly reset and the game cannot be played. I've been thinking about trying to fix it, but the relay work and the cam adjustments / maintenance are a little beyond my current skill level.

I've been wondering if I should continue to try and fix the machine or try to convert it into an Arduino powered box. EM machines are only getting older and circuit emulation may help prolong the life of these aging classics.

Rebuilding the relay system into an Arduino-emulated box is also a bit beyond my current skill level, but would be fun. I'm not sure if the community here would be at all interested in the process (and maybe some occasional assistance), or if this would be heresy of the first order.

Anybody have any thoughts?

20140113_220507 (resized).jpg20140113_220507 (resized).jpg20140113_220619 (resized).jpg20140113_220619 (resized).jpg20140113_220655 (resized).jpg20140113_220655 (resized).jpg

20140113_220728 (resized).jpg20140113_220728 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Fixing the EM problems is going to be much easier than doing the conversion. No one is going to care about your converted EM, you'll never be able to sell it. Biggest probability is you ruin an EM, spend a lot of money, and never get the arduino working. EMs are basically indestructible.

#3 5 years ago

It's a million times easier to fix the EM as is than to rip out a bunch of stuff, wire it all up new, and program an arduino to do a bunch of stuff the game is already fully capable of.

I don't care what you do. It's your game. But in terms of workload, that's a big conversion for a meh game.

#4 5 years ago

Jwilson did a conversion of his EM machine to a re-themed machine. It was a lot of work and I would guess that his skills in tackling that task where challenged.

It is a big job that may overwhelm, leading to a machine that could be difficult to roll back to its former state.

Fixing a EM is also a bit of a challenge too.

Given the options fix EM machine or convert EM machine to home brew, my suggestion would be fix EM machine.

There is a whole journey of learning the art of repairing an EM. One that can be rewarding in understanding how EM work.
EM machine will likely live longer than their solid state counterparts... They were built like tanks.

If you do decide to go the home brew route, there are many build article on this web site. They may inspire your imagination for building ideas.

Good luck on what ever route you choose.

#5 5 years ago

Fixing that EM would take less than an hour. That's the route I'd go. EM games will be running way longer than anything using chips or electronics.

If the game is continually resetting on player 2, I'd clean and adjust all the player 2 score reel 0-position switches.

2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to rehab the machine.

I've started a rehab diary here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/duotron-1974-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-relays

The getting it working in less than an hour is totally not an accurate estimate schudel5 , but only because a LOT more was wrong with the box once I got it hooked up again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-duotron-repair-or-modernize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.