image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7329_crop (resized).jpg
0AF3F1C0-ECAB-4A5C-9F42-837E8903D212 (resized).jpeg
22D06AC7-2D86-4030-8751-619E1837CC34 (resized).jpeg
F7387E39-17E4-418C-BF61-1958470D63F5 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Background
Bought a duotron with hope of converting to my Arduino based solution i have used on my flying carpet. The aim was to be able to replace playfields and play different games no space for a games room have my rockola world series and a jennings one armed bandit in the kitcken already. The duotron was going to provide the cabinet and metal work however machine left for 20 plus years in barn and on opening it was full of woodworm, water and mice had got in so not salvageable. Good news picking up a clean cabinet and backbox tomorrow.
Back to the point I need some help the playfield was completely in tatters managed to sand down straight it and fill were wood had delaminated. Made a new overlay over 100 hours work no wonder they cost so much, it is fabulous here is my problem there are 2 longer post as per the gottlieb playfield schematic and i have no idea where they belong any ideas, also attached is the door before i start to refurbish.

0AF3F1C0-ECAB-4A5C-9F42-837E8903D212 (resized).jpeg0AF3F1C0-ECAB-4A5C-9F42-837E8903D212 (resized).jpeg22D06AC7-2D86-4030-8751-619E1837CC34 (resized).jpeg22D06AC7-2D86-4030-8751-619E1837CC34 (resized).jpegF7387E39-17E4-418C-BF61-1958470D63F5 (resized).jpegF7387E39-17E4-418C-BF61-1958470D63F5 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2 2 years ago

Found it - there is a post between each of the side targets (A&B on left, A&C on right) - not the best picture but you get the idea
IMG_7329_crop (resized).jpgIMG_7329_crop (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Boy those metal parts are rusted badly. Soak them in Evapo-Rust for a couple of days then see how they look. You might need to buy a new reproduction coin door from Pinball Resource.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the post position

Finally pickup my gottlieb cabinet backbox and door. Tried evapo rust did a good job together with a light sand blast but will use my new door. lock bar and coin metalwork ok after treatments. Currently stripping a chicago coin fiesta lots of work here to do. Have new plastic cut for the duotron and my flying carpet just need to get the artwork sorted.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
5 months later
#5 2 years ago

how did you make the overlay?

#6 2 years ago

Playfield update
I scanned the existing playfield and found a playfield on one of the Virtual pinball sites. Be careful VP playfields are all wrong resolution and sizes. However between the 2 i was able to make the overlay. I started my making a blank the correct size and then inserted the scanned files. I used affinity and inkscape for the creation. Printing checking hole alignments is critical. When that was all done you need to find a printer who can print in full colour and can print white. The printer i used required 2 files a high resolution cymk raster file and a dxf file to define the white areas. I believe they print the colour first and then overlay the white ink. By the way the base material is clear. When you get the print you can attach it using a wet or dry method i tend to use the wet method as the water can easily be pushed in the playfield holes. Hope this helps, by the way it took over 50 hours if the playfield is in bad condition also the scanned files will almost certainly be out of focus unless you can use a large flatbed or see thro scanner. PS i used clear inserts beneath the playfield and included the scoring on the print this makes sure it is perfectly flat. 2 options are availsble to seal the overlay a 4k sealer or get the printer to attach a protective coating.

#7 2 years ago

Update
I also created a new backglass as well.

#8 2 years ago

bjmclrn

Wow, I am jealous, that playfield overlay is beautiful! I sure could use something like that on mine.

Would love to know your backglass process as well. Is it actually a backglass or did you have a translite made?

Thanks for sharing your progress!

#9 2 years ago

Update,
The backglass was created by myself, I scanned my original backglass not in good condition and then proceeded to create a ne backglass. My first print was not perfect but acceptable. The leason here is simple understand RGB V CYMK printing. Fo tose non technical is like the picture on your TV v the print you have from a family holiday, transmitted light ie led is different. Sorry not a photo expert but it is different. This another reason why replacement playfield and backglasses cost so much a lot of experimentation and time, alright if you have time on your hands, but it costs a lot to buy the software packages I curretly use 3 packages for imaging and 2 for vector work. My flying carpet backglass i created is awsome, but i would say that.

#10 2 years ago

here is my flying carpet backglass image that i created.

CA8CDD45-0DBD-4CE9-8BD7-F33FBE796BDF (resized).jpegCA8CDD45-0DBD-4CE9-8BD7-F33FBE796BDF (resized).jpeg
#11 2 years ago

Note Please respect the work and copyright of Gottlieb and my feeble artwork and do not reproduce.
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-duotron-rebuild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.