Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141130_192804.jpg
20141130_192754.jpg
Duo front.jpg
Duo rear.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi guys!
The restoration of my Duotron is going very well! Now it's all functioning and I'm ready to strip off the playfield to clean parts!
But I need a little help... the rear panel of backbox is missing and I want to recreate one as close as the original one.
Someone could post here few pictures and measurements to reproduce that panel?
I'm sorry but I don't have other EM to take that measures...
Any help will be really appreciated!
Thanks to all!

Ciao
Duo rear.jpgDuo rear.jpg
Duo front.jpgDuo front.jpg

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Hi guys!
The restoration of my Duotron is going very well! Now it's all functioning and I'm ready to strip off the playfield to clean parts!
But I need a little help... the rear panel of backbox is missing and I want to recreate one as close as the original one.
Someone could post here few pictures and measurements to reproduce that panel?
I'm sorry but I don't have other EM to take that measures...
Any help will be really appreciated!
Thanks to all!
Ciao

A lot of times you can find these at pin shows in the flea market section.

Duo rear.jpg 189 KB

Duo front.jpg 272 KB

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

A lot of times you can find these at pin shows in the flea market section

Most likely to find it in your area... here in Italy it's hard!
It's more easy to recreate one with my hands!

#4 9 years ago

Do you have access to a sheet metal supplier?
Are you planning to create your own?

#5 9 years ago

Yes, I've several type of metal sheets at my workshop. I cannot find the original one, so I can create my own..
I've not plans, and if needed, I can use wood instead metal..
I need some pictures.. I don't know how that panel is..

#6 9 years ago

Mate,
All you need to do is measure the hole and cut a piece of 12.5mm ply to fit. Or cut a piece of sheet metal 30mm larger than the hole and bend all the edges over 90 degrees, 15mm deep. Get a lock and measure how far down the hole needs to be for the tang to hit the metal stop, drill it and fit the lock. I've made loads for wedge heads and Williams games doing the above and never had a problem doing it. And every game needs a slightly different sized door. I don't know if they warp over the years, but no two are identical. So you are better off making a bespoke one anyway.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, i would make a cardboard template for sizing a few millimeters just loose of the actual (tight) fitment and make the 90° bends just a bit short of what fits in the u-channel on the bottom for sizing all around the small bends of the perimeter. Cardboard is a cheap disposable template.
Check to see if you are square measuring your corners diagonal for a proper fit is a start to what you are dealing with.

Do you have a sheet metal brake? If so then you are ahead in a few steps in the work cut out for you. If not then you can make a makeshift brake with some lumber/timber and some c-clamps can get it pretty close to what you need.
Some hammer and dolly work can help with some aesthetics if wanted/needed.
Although not original oem,you mentioned wood which can be used to accomplish the same thing and should work just as well for you. Whatever is comfortable in your skill set is what direction to go.

#8 9 years ago

This guy on ebay sells new wedgehead doors, 2-player doors, and 4-player doors to fit Gottlieb games. Here the link for the 2-player door. He provided the dimensions in the instructions. You'll have to see if his is the exact size you need:

ebay.com link: 2 Player Gottlieb Pinball Machine Repoduction Back Doors Backdoor Not Orginial

It sounds like you want to make your own and you're not from the U.S. so shipping would probably be a problem but here's the information anyway.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks Hoov for the link! It has an interesting price, but as you have already said, shipping and taxes are a problem! I wouldn't pay the backpanel more than the entire pinball!
I can do the panel with metal sheet or wood...
Maybe with wood would be the best solution for me... is cheaper and faster to reproduce!
I just have to get a wooden piece, 12 mm thickness, with the hole box dimensions? Or I forgot something...
I'll follow your suggestions hoping to do a good job!
Thanks again guys! Sorry for my delay but today I was very busy with the coindoor cabling

1 week later
#10 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

This guy on ebay sells new wedgehead doors, 2-player doors, and 4-player doors to fit Gottlieb games. Here the link for the 2-player door. He provided the dimensions in the instructions. You'll have to see if his is the exact size you need:
ebay.com link » 2 Player Gottlieb Pinball Machine Repoduction Back Doors Backdoor Not Orginial
It sounds like you want to make your own and you're not from the U.S. so shipping would probably be a problem but here's the information anyway.

These look perfect!! Thanks Hoov

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

These look perfect!! Thanks Hoov

FYI

If you buy more than one door shipping is cheaper

1 month later
#12 9 years ago

Hi friends! I could not find a spare panel outside, so I decided to build one on purpose for me!
I used a piece of aluminium sheet, 3 mm thickness, cutted on the edges just to have a clean job...
This is the final result!
Thanks however to everyone for helping and support!
See u!!!
Ciao
Loris

20141130_192804.jpg20141130_192804.jpg 20141130_192754.jpg20141130_192754.jpg
#13 9 years ago

Nice work.

#14 9 years ago

Now if you's sell them for $20 each you'd sell a dozen. I need one for a Card Wiz

#15 9 years ago

Thanks
I'm lucky because I use these panels for safety cages of our calender machine.
Then I've a bending machine in the workshop...
I was looking for a panel when I had all the material under the nose!!!
Is not original but... it's good enough for me!!! Yeah!

Quoted from pinhead52:

Now if you's sell them for $20 each you'd sell a dozen. I need one for a Card Wiz

Remember the shipping costs!

#16 9 years ago

Yea shipping would be $25 etc. still...I need 1

#17 9 years ago

FWIW, Jeff also has the 2-player doors available:
http://www.everythingpinball.com/pinball-parts

Shipping is usually around $10.

(I just bought one for my Quick Draw - it's very nice.)

#18 9 years ago

I have used him before as well. Good guy, was the first 2 player door he made, gave good shipping price on two.

#19 9 years ago

His website does not show 2player, I sent an email.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

His website does not show 2player, I sent an email.

That's correct, it's not on the website. But he has them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-duotron-backpanel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.