• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6118 (resized).jpg
IMG_6220 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've cleaned and rebuilt a Gottlieb drop target 5-bank that's set up as three single drops with new springs, but I'm getting a problem with the drops not falling smoothly or getting stuck.

Any suggestions?

IMG_6220 (resized).jpgIMG_6220 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I have usually found on my machines that when Gottlieb drop targets hang up and fail to drop down completely, it is because the switch blades on the sides of the bank are exerting too much pressure on the metal slider cams and thus causing too much friction.

The mechanism can get gunked up also, but I'd look at the pressure exerted by the switch blades first and if it appears to be the culprit, adjust the long switch blade away from the slider a tiny bit more.

#3 6 years ago

The position of the drop target bank underneath the playfield also has a little bit of wiggle room for adjustment when installing. There is also the possibility when you reinstalled the bank, the plastic drop target may be hanging up against the sides of the hole in the playfield?

#4 6 years ago

To add to other thoughts mentioned, there can be ‘gunk’ built up on the blades. Check, clean, and adjust as needed.

#5 6 years ago

What game is this? The only Gottlieb game I remember that has three standalone targets like this is Bronco/Mustang, but this is not one of them.

Like the previous poster mentioned, the switch behind the target bank can exert too much resistance on the trigger lever when it wipes across the blade. That’s metal-on-metal friction, so I polish the blade with a Dremel and apply a drop or two of Super Lube for smooth operation.

If you are using a Gottlieb bank in a game from a different manufacturer, those alien switch blades might have more tensile strength than the Gottlieb springs are rated to overcome.

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

The problem I'm having seems to start before it even gets to the switch - the right target is hit back, but won't drop. Is it spring related maybe?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The problem I'm having seems to start before it even gets to the switch - the right target is hit back, but won't drop. Is it spring related maybe?

Check to see if both springs are intact on that target. Could also be gummed up/dirty underneath.

Since you already cleaned it, though, my guess is that one of the springs wasn’t put back on correctly, or has maybe come loose.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Each target has two springs; one spring pulls the target down, the other pulls the target forward. They are different in strength and not interchangeable.

If my memory serves me correctly, the stronger spring is for pulling the target down and the looser spring is for pulling it forward, holding it against the playfield edge. If these springs are installed backwards: (1) it takes a very hard blow to overcome the stronger spring and push the target back far enough to start dropping, and (2) the weaker spring will barely pull the target down any distance at all. Don’t ask me how I know this.

What game is this?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Check to see if both springs are intact on that target. Could also be gummed up/dirty underneath.
Since you already cleaned it, though, my guess is that one of the springs wasn’t put back on correctly, or has maybe come loose.

I checked the springs, they're in place. Maybe I'll order a new spring set. Thanks.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Used to be Mustang.

Ahh, so it’s a re-theme. I can’t see much of the new artwork in that picture, but what I can see looks dynamite. Can you share more pictures of the playfield?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Ahh, so it’s a re-theme. I can’t see much of the new artwork in that picture, but what I can see looks dynamite. Can you share more pictures of the playfield?

I'm bringing the game to MGC for it's public debut. I'll post a detailed thread about it when it's ready - so many people post custom threads that die in the middle, I'd rather wait to do it to avoid that.

That said, here's a preview:

burn rubberburn rubber

#13 6 years ago

Superb work! I’m agog at the design excellence on display here. The shapes, lines, and colors are all razor-sharp stuff. Ol’ Gordon Morison would have been impressed.

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

Just an update for future searches, my drop issue turned out to be a cracked target - it cracked right at the spring mount point. These repro drops from PBR aren't as strong as the originals.

#15 6 years ago

PBR repro drop targets should be way stronger than originals. Maybe you got a defective one.

If it broke at a point away from the target face I bet they would replace it.

Also, nice work on the retheme. Your work looks outstanding.

#16 6 years ago

Thanks. It'll be at MGC for people to finally see and play. With reinforced drop targets!

1 month later
#17 5 years ago

Well, I moved the switches to the front of the drops so now the switches shouldn't cause issues with them dropping, but I'm getting some weird behaviour - if I flick or glance the targets, they drop nicely. But a harder hit on the front and they stick. The switches aren't anywhere near the cam at this point, and it only happens with a hard hit. Here's a video.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-drops-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.