Drop A Card A relay switch (resized).jpg
F612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
F612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA (resized).jpeg
584e10f45f4bb65edb300996d9d29cd7219a79dc.jpeg (resized).jpg
F0E5736C-6162-4C81-B526-2C9FAC0085C0 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).png
Drop A Card Alternating Relay (resized).jpg
9717FC7B-7471-492D-A013-1433AA7F7DBE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CardTrix70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

The rule set for this machine operates so the roll over targets in the middle of the playfield alternate being lit after the ball rolls over one. It also should change the stand up target on the left and right sides to being lit. However my DAC is not alternating the rollover lights or the standup lights. I am a novice at understanding and reading the games schematic. Can someone give me a direction on this issue? Thanks in advance.

9717FC7B-7471-492D-A013-1433AA7F7DBE (resized).jpeg9717FC7B-7471-492D-A013-1433AA7F7DBE (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Do you have a schematic? If not, someone here does. I love Card Trix and Drop-a-card. I learned pinball on those games in '74-'75. Actually I played Pop-a-card, the add a ball version - same basic game.
Pinside should have you fixed up in 2-24 hours!

Got one thanks!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It is likely that you have an Alternating relay, usually 'A,' that handles that. If so, it should have a make/break switch and that likely needs attention.
This is a good site to bookmark, and there are two sections on schematics: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

Thanks, will work through pinrepair site.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

currieddog is right. It's likely your A/Alternating relay isn't firing:
[quoted image]
It should change state each time the 0-9 or Match Unit takes a step, which should be each time 1 point is scored.
/Mark

I will check this area out, if it's not firing what possible causes should I look at? I did check all of the switches on the bottom sides of the roll overs and they are set fine.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

currieddog is right. It's likely your A/Alternating relay isn't firing:
[quoted image]
It should change state each time the 0-9 or Match Unit takes a step, which should be each time 1 point is scored.
/Mark

I checked out the A/Alternating relay and you are right. I don't think it can fire because when I move manually move the blade the screw from the switch stack stops it before any of the points move. Have you ever seen that as an issue? I also noticed someone jumpered the switch stacks with that white and orange wire. Not sure what that is about but does not look factory to me.

F0E5736C-6162-4C81-B526-2C9FAC0085C0 (resized).jpegF0E5736C-6162-4C81-B526-2C9FAC0085C0 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

What you want to do is to push down on the plastic armature at the circled area. That will simulate the coil pulling when energized. To the bottom right of the circle you see three M/B switches; one of those does the lites. Apply what Clay has to say from the link in post 8.
I can't see the solders well enough to tell if the W-O wires are factory, but I bet they are.
[quoted image]

Yep but the bottom of the screw does not allow the armature to move enough to change the location of the points, I am going to find a shorter screw and install that in the switch stack and see if that allows the movement of the armature to allow the movement of the points.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

You might be able to hack off part of it if you can't find a shorter one.

Ok, got a shorter screw and that allowed the armature to work. Watched the motion and the switch stack operates as it should with the machine off. By the way I did install a new coil. Now the coil screams and the rollovers work on the one side of alternating and the other side does not score points or lights don't change sides. I have attached a better photo of the jumper wires that someone before me looks to have installed. They don't look factory to me. Any idea for continuing my search to repair would be great, thanks.

F612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA (resized).jpegF612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA (resized).jpeg
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from CardTrix70:

Ok, got a shorter screw and that allowed the armature to work. Watched the motion and the switch stack operates as it should with the machine off. By the way I did install a new coil. Now the coil screams and the rollovers work on the one side of alternating and the other side does not score points or lights don't change sides. I have attached a better photo of the jumper wires that someone before me looks to have installed. They don't look factory to me. Any idea for continuing my search to repair would be great, thanks.
[quoted image]

Better direction on the photo

F612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA_1_201_a (resized).jpegF612F786-EF08-4A4A-ACA6-20E51A1054EA_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Agreed. The solders look like they match the others.
Have you tried manually advancing the Match/0-9 unit to see if A alternates? I'm wondering if the resistor show in post 4 is shot. You can find them on eBay.

Guys, you have been a tremendous help. I did get it fixed and think it was a combination of a couple of things. I attached a photo to show you how much grease I took off of the Match/0-9 unit and a small washer. Well, the washer I left in when I changed the coil, should not have, rookie mistake. Also solved the screw problem on the relay that was blocking it from operating and adjusted points on that relay that were out of adjustment. Also seemed to take away a noise from the coil I had before. Thanks again for your patience and guidance, have a great weekend.

6527C124-4E34-4B8B-B71F-C130916DF391_1_105_c (resized).jpeg6527C124-4E34-4B8B-B71F-C130916DF391_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CardTrix70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-drop-a-card-roll-over-issue?tu=CardTrix70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.