(Topic ID: 223191)

Gottlieb/Dragon/Problem with holding high score and only 1 credit.

By Raff

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Raff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    GTB_Sys1_5101.jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Bought this machine yesterday I noticed that when turning off machine and turning it back on it wasn't holding the high score so I put in a new battery pack checked the + and - wires they are connected in the right spot but still not holding the high score. And can only get one credit up at a time any help on this would be great thanks.
    Raff

#2 5 years ago

Go through and clear all the game memory. Step through the audits and high scores, and press the reset button on the MPU for each one.

Sometimes garbage data gets saved in RAM after turning it on with no battery, or after connecting a battery.

#3 5 years ago

Went through 1-13 on the audits pressed the reset button on all of them still not holding high score.

#4 5 years ago

Check the voltage on the batteries and check to see if the voltage is reaching the RAM.

#5 5 years ago

sorry I don't have a schematic for the game yet is that number for the ram chip the 5101.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Check the voltage on the batteries and check to see if the voltage is reaching the RAM.

Ok voltage on the batteries are good around the 3.6 .And checked pin 22 on the ram that's Z22 chip on the board and there is power at pin 22 around 3.6 Dc voltage.

#7 5 years ago

Did you check the dip switch settings. I know system 80’s have a setting for holding high score. I think system 1 do too.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Did you check the dip switch settings

I have checked the dip switch and the high score is turned on.

#9 5 years ago

Is the 5101 chip on the control board have anything to do with only allowing one game credit . I can not put up more than 1 credit on the screen.

#10 5 years ago

Have you confirmed if valid data is being stored in the 5101?
    i.e. when you go through book-keeping mode, after clearing the audits and putting valid score reward levels at steps 7, 8, 9 and 10 (High Score to Date), if you then power off the machine for a minute then switch it back on, has everything been remembered in book-keeping mode or does it all contain junk (possibly the same previous junk before you cleared/set each step)?

#11 5 years ago

When i power the machine off everything is lost . Have cleared everthing in 7,8,9 & 10 then put the scores back in 7,8,9 for game rewards then power off and power back on and everything is lost.
    Raff

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Ok voltage on the batteries are good around the 3.6 .And checked pin 22 on the ram that's Z22 chip on the board and there is power at pin 22 around 3.6 Dc voltage.

I presume you measured 3.6V at pin 22 of Z22 (5101) when the machine was off?

Quoted from Raff:

When i power the machine off everything is lost .

Is all the audit data the same as the previous power-on? i.e. does the audit data seem to be stuck on the same values or are you getting random new values each time you power up and check the audits?

If replacing the 5101 doesn't fix it, you'll have to get a logic probe out and find out why the chip enable (pin 17) or read/write (pin 20) and/or other signals to the 5101 are not being activated.

GTB_Sys1_5101.jpgGTB_Sys1_5101.jpg

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

More
    I presume you measured 3.6V at pin 22 of Z22 (5101) when the machine was off

Have 3.6v at pin 22 and if machine is turned off when its powered back on all numbers are 0

#14 5 years ago

Problem solved .Started with doing the ground mods to the mpu and driver board the power board was already done ,then i took the old 5101 chip out and noticed on the board that where pins 18 & 19 go that they are connected together on the same trace on the top of the board , so after putting in the new chip i tested all the traces to the leg of the chip the only trace that was not working was 18 , pin 18 & 19 are both connected to ground so i add a splash of solder across the two pins at the back of the board plugged it in went into book keeping mode cleared 1-10 Added new scores in 7,8 & 9 for free games and added a high score in 10 and game was working again with high scores and can add more than 1 game , so turning machine on and off now keeps high score no problems all fixed . I would say to anyone that has this problem first 2 things to do is ground mods on all boards and check pin 18 make sure there is ground there.image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    Thanks to Quench for all your help and forceflow and boat.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dragon-problem-with-holding-high-score-and-only-1-credit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.