• Latest reply 2 years ago by Peruman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Domino 100pt relay (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

The rollovers are the top of a Domino are supposed to score 100 pts plus advance when lit and 50 pts when not light. The outlane rollovers are supposed to score 100pts plus advance whenever activated.

In the game I’m working on, anything that is meant to score 100pts, is scoring 500 points and I can’t figure out why this is as there is no 500-point relay or anything like that.

This one has me stumped.

Alberto

#2 2 years ago

Although there is no 500 pt relay, there are two relays on this game that allow for the scoring of 500 pts. One is the V (roto-target scoring) relay, and the other is the Y (hole) relay.

However, before getting into those, the first thing I would check is the most simple potential issue, and that is the score motor 1D switch stack. There is an N.O. switch on that stack that is only supposed to close during the first pulse of the 1A switch to score 100 pts when the X relay is energized. If the score motor 1D switch is making contact all of the time, you will get 500 instead of 100.

If the motor 1D switch is working correctly, then you'll need to look at the Y relay and the V relay.

The Y relay is the easier one to check. The Y relay pulls in when the ball enters either kick-out hole. The X relay always pulls in along with the Y relay. There is a switch on the Y relay that closes to complete the circuit across the score motor 1D switch, so that the X relay will score 500. If this Y relay switch is closed all the time, you'll always get 500 points instead of 100 points from the X relay.

The V relay always pulls in when either roto target is hit. If the current roto target matches the lit domino, then the X relay will also be energized along with the V relay to score 500. Each roto target switch consists of three blades, which all must be open unless they are being actuated by the ball. Check to confirm that you don't have two blades touching all the time on either of the roto target switches. If you do, then actuating the X relay from any PF switch can also pull in the Y relay to score 500, but only if the roto target on the faulty switch happens to match the lit domino.

- TimMe

#3 2 years ago

This is the relevant section of the schematic with the switches I suspect.
Domino 100pt relay (resized).jpgDomino 100pt relay (resized).jpg
But start with @timme's explanation.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the help! It was 1D having a higher than expected resistance when closed. Cleaning the contacts corrected that. I played a couple games and the scoring appears to be OK.

I also fixed the 1000s scoring reel which would reset but only increment intermittently. Looking at that circuit, it was the normally open switch on L that was sometimes closing, sometimes not quite.

The latest issues that have cropped up are:

* The ball return coil is toasty looking (no wrapper and the insulation looks burn) and does not seem to have the power to send the ball down the track. Initially I thought the ball was hitting the apron, but that is not the case, the ball does not always make it up the ramp. I’ll desolder the coil to measure the resistance. If it’s off, I have a new A-1496 ready.

* Intermittently, the score motor will get stuck in a score motor loop for a few revolutions and then stop without me doing anything. This happens after the game has finished the reset cycle and the ball has made it to where the shooting rod is, the motor will continue running and then stop. It’s running for much too long to be part of the reset cycle.

Thanks again for the help

Alberto

#5 2 years ago

Solved the issue with the score motor. The trough switch going from the outhole to the shooting rod was not making good contact. Cleaned and checked the gap and now the score motor runs as expected.

Alberto

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-domino-incorrect-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.