You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200507_123536 (resized).jpg
Domino Domimo lights (resized).jpg
3 Ball vs 5 Ball (resized).jpg
Domino Advance Option (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Recently picked up the schematic for my new-to-me Gottlieb Domino which has been playing fine in 5 ball mode, and starting to poke around a bit under the hood.

The schematic led me down the rabbit hole of 3 Ball vs 5 Ball, there's a honking jones plug strip to make that change, and it seems to impact a lot of the playfield, and I wanted to check it out.

So far:

5 Ball: 2 of 6 top lanes light (alternately), pop bumpers alternate (red / yellow), and center target turns on periodically (1 of 3 cases)

3 Ball: 2 of 6 top lanes light (alternately, no change), pop bumpers alternate (red / yellow / all), and center target is always lit

Not sure if all this is right, but it seems (mostly) right. I'm have not noticed or dug into any differences in the captive holes (spin & advance), the roto targets themselves, or the side drains (advance) or center drain (spin).

I'm also looking at the Domino Advance setting (conservative vs liberal) and as far as I can tell, I'm not seeing much impact there. Base on the schematic, I'm guessing it impacts what will advance the dominos, but have not noticed it yet. The purported 3 ball / 5 ball instructions (3 ball instruction card not verified) show no differences, nor do the playfield instructions or schematic.

Y = (Captive side) Hole Relay
X = 100 Pt & Advance Relay
V = Roto Target Scoring Relay

Any Domino owners have a manual, other documentation, experience, or link to a thread here that might let me know what it SHOULD be doing?
Domino Advance Option (resized).jpgDomino Advance Option (resized).jpg

3 Ball vs 5 Ball (resized).jpg3 Ball vs 5 Ball (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Your schematic shows when the Advance Unit will fire.

Thank-you, useful. Your way of looking at / describing the relay logic makes things more clear.

So...the X relay is the main show, being energized by: lighted lanes, lighted targets, hole relay, lower rollover relays (side drains), as well as the roto unit when the domino matches. Trial and error provides the following:

5 Ball / Conservative: One advance per roto-target hit / One advance per captive hole capture via Motor 4C

5 Ball / Liberal: Two advances per roto-target hit / One advance per captive hole capture via Motor 4C & Motor 1B

3 Ball / Conservative: Three advances per roto-target hit / Two advances per captive hole capture via Motor 4C & Motor 3B & Motor 1B (except Y / Hole Relay)

3 Ball / Liberal: Three advances per roto-target hit / Three advance per captive hole capture via Motor 4C & Motor 3B & Motor 1B

Which makes perfect sense from the schematic / your description. All working as it should!

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Regarding manuals - Rolf is on a quest to find the oldest manuals... looks like nothing before Snow Queen (1970)... so far....

Interesting, thanks! I wondered why I could picks one up for Duotron but not Domino....

1 month later
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It looks like when the Advance Unit is reset and at position 0, the 5 domino should be on, unless the game is tilted.

That's how mine works; so the five spot target is "hot" if it happens to be up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-domino-3-ball-vs-5-ball-liberal-vs-conservative?tu=juderussell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.