(Topic ID: 61690)

Gottlieb Dodge City - Spin ROTO Not Spinning?

By jodini

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LongJohns
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P9011081.JPG
P9011080.JPG
P9011079.JPG
P9011076.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Dodge City that I purchase last week and after bringing it back to life, I noticed the illuminating roto was not spinning under the playing field. Then I also noticed that the previous owner blacked out the words "Spin Roto" on the playing field...not good!

So I don't have the schematics and don't even know when this thing suppose to spin. I thought it spun each time you got 10 points...true? Well either way, I haven't seen it spin yet. I took apart the roto, cleaned the contacts, noticed the set screw that held the roto on the shaft was a little loose and tried again. Still no luck. I just ordered a spring set for it, so ignore the springs (I kind of stretched them to help work the roto.

So when I say, it does not spin, the silinoid never moves...never engages...nothing.
My question is what relay makes it move? Anyone have schematics?

Thanks,
Joe
P.S. My experience with EM's....I've gotten 4 to come back alive from the grave....so my experience is still limited, but your help is much appreciated.

P9011076.JPG P9011079.JPG P9011080.JPG

#2 6 years ago

O.K. I figured out when the roto spins....mostly when the ball goes into the knock out holes. However it still doesn't spin. I put a volt meter on the wires and when I measure from the orange to black (the two that are one the silnoid) I get almost nothing (maybe 1 volt)....looks like the silnoid moves a tad....however when I measure from the two black to the yellow wire (looks like a ground) I get plenty of voltage...shoots up to 20 (could be more) quickly when I depress the knock out hole.

However I get the same voltage spike when I arch between the orange that is on the silinoid and to the yellow.

Now I don't want to start connecting wires unless that is what I should be doing...my fear is smoking the machine. What do you guys think? Do you think someone wired this incorrectly?

P9011081.JPG

#3 6 years ago

Pinball Resource (pbresource.com) will have the schematic available.

Usually there's a relay with a switch stack on it that controls the roto unit spin solenoid. It might be labeled "Roto" or "Spin" relay if the labels are still there. Based on the playfield, it looks like the roto should spin when the lit rollover lane is made (so that blacked out text is "50 Points and Spin Roto when lit"). So there's likely logic in the path that includes having one of the four rollover lanes lit, and then the corresponding rollover switch to engage the Roto relay. And then when the Roto relay engages, the roto unit fires.

That's just a general outline though. The schematic would have the needed detail.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks Dirt Flipper!
Here's a video and I agree that will also turn it on. This is not my machine....but wish it was!

Most of the labels are there. I'll take a close look again.

#5 6 years ago

Recleaned all the jones plugs, look shiny and new....but still no roto rotation.

#6 6 years ago

If the label is blacked out, one would think the owner/operator either disabled the feature, or it stopped working and didn't know how to fix it. If it was something obvious, would think would have been remedied long ago(?)

#7 6 years ago

I know...but that's where you guys come in! Hoping to figure it out.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't think this matters but I know things are daisy chained together so I thought I would mention this. The right flipper was doing the jitters, so I looked at the coil and one of the wires was broken. So I'm getting a new flipper coil. Not sure if that effects are trouble shooting.

#8 6 years ago

Pinball resources does not have schematics...who has them?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

Pinball resources does not have schematics...who has them?

They don't list all the stuff they have on the website. It's best to call them and ask.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

They don't list all the stuff they have on the website. It's best to call them and ask.

yea, it's safe to say if it's a gtb schematic, pbr has it if anyone does...

#12 6 years ago

Well, I got some good news and some bad news...sort of!

The Roto is now spinning! Everytime it comes down the center top, it spins....when it pops out of the "pop out holes" it spins and when the bottom is lite, it spins.

Bad news....I have no idea what I did! I replaced the flipper coil, and two coin chute relays (before I was working these manually)....but now everything works for the most part!

I still need to get the schematics....Marco says they are out of stock, so I'll try pbresources.

Joe

#13 6 years ago

If that is the case, it may have just been a dirty switch blade not making good contact. (or slightly out of adjustment) If it happens again, I would suspect the later and would still try to track it down.

#14 6 years ago

Everything working good! I did some schematics from PBR so I'm good there.

Here's a video of it in action:

This one is a little boring but here it is:

#15 6 years ago

That machine looks great. Dodge City is my hometown and one of the machines I've always kept my eye out for. Last year, one popped up for sale in Chicago, (in my neighborhood!) while I was out of town and didn't see it until it was already gone.

4 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Keeps getting better! Just a quick video that I made today...loving the machine!

#17 6 years ago

That looks awesome. I'll need to set up some time to check it out, Joe!

#18 6 years ago

Just let me know! I have free pinball and beer!
Joe

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I have free pinball and beer!

That's the best thing I've read all day!

1 month later
#20 5 years ago

Hey Jo,

I have one of these machines as well so if there is anything that I can do to assist in the future, let me know. Lots of stuff in the bottom box. Congrats to you for your persistance. Not an easy machine to work on.

George in Cleveland.

#21 5 years ago

Thanks GPS!
Actually the more I play it, the better it works! It has become the favorite game in the house!
But I will definitely keep you number on speed dial!
LOVE THIS FORUM!
Joe

1 week later
#22 5 years ago

OK Jo, please do. I am by no means the best e/m guy but maybe if you needed reference information from mine like the state of a switch, I could assist. Just waxed the playfield. Different game. Makes all the difference.

Have fun.

1 week later
#23 5 years ago

Great game, but I have one that is being a major pain in my side - actually taking an extended break from it at the moment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 6.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 299.00
$ 7.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 2,000.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 142.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside