Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8446 (resized).JPG
IMG_8006 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I bought this game on July 1st of 2015 as my third game ever and it has sat in my garage and then my basement (when pinball moved down there) set up, working and booting but not working enough to play and have fun with, so I didn't play it, as my collection grew around it. Think of an emotional time-lapse scene from a movie. Ahem, anyways. I think it worked nearly-fully when I bought it but the seller did mention it probably needed a repin of the interconnect which even as I've grown more experienced, I'm inclined to believe.

I'd like to FINALLY get back to this poor game to either put on location or enjoy in my own collection! I paid $400 from another Pinsider (probably one of those "scores of the century", 7.5/10 beautiful cabinet, 10/10 beautiful backglass with 0 issues, and otherwise-decent playfield besides the wear mark mentioned in issue D).

A) Since I've bought it: Game acts weird randomly, doesn't kick balls out of kickout holes nor lock them, etc.

I think I just need to repin the interconnect but I figured I would list it anyways. I have tried reseating it any amount of times with no change as far as I can tell.

-------------------------------------------------------

B) A few months after I bought it: When the ball kicks out, the outhole coil will fire 4 times in rapid succession - "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!". If you're familar with EM games it's about the same speed as a Gottlieb 5-time score motor trigger, meaning 50 points or resetting the units, except here it's not EM and it's only 4 times. Could be the knocker as well but I'm pretty certain it's the outhole kicker. One ball is released just fine (seemingly from the first fire as you'd expect), and it never struggles to get out of the ball trough.

C) A few months ago (remember I go months between even starting a game because you don't get very far due to issue A, the kickout holes usually keep your ball): A new development, the game places the wrong sounds for the wrong things. For instance, the game plays the tilt sound for dropping the point score sound, etc., the attract sounds seem to be fine and I forget if the background music is what it is supposed to be. A lot of the speech is wrong as well. It's intact and sounds fine (individually, obviously mashed together it sounds pretty awful), just plays for the wrong stuff.

D) Seemingly since brand new due to wear: When you hit the center drop targets, the ball will violently hit the glass and make an extremely unpleasant sound to where you want to avoid the drop targets while playing, which obviously isn't much fun. As far as I know the coils are factory. This looks like it has happened since the game was brand new as it left as giant down-to-the-wood wear spot in the middle of the otherwise perfect playfield which is a shame. The previous owner's "pinball owners" website entry for when he owns this game indicates that "like others say", the drop targets do cause a nasty knock to the glass. However I've never seen anybody else say this nor seen any other playfields worn this way. Perhaps he was mistaking the occasional knock to the glass that others have to this - this happens nearly EVERY time. Even in my basement arcade when the loudest EM chimes are permitted, I can't stand to play the game like this, it makes me wince.

#2 7 years ago

Picture of the wear mark caused by issue D likely since new or at least since a very long time ago. (Picture taken by me at seller's house in July of 2015)

IMG_8006 (resized).JPGIMG_8006 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Picture of it in the old garage-cade, July 6th, 2015, just for show.

IMG_8446 (resized).JPGIMG_8446 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Cool, you have the seven digit version. I miss
my game. Nobody will play the game on location.
I would suggest that you start with the foundation
and work your way up. Make sure your power supply
capacitors are good. Check cold solder joints.
Ect,ect,ect.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Cool, you have the seven digit version. I miss
my game. Nobody will play the game on location.
I would suggest that you start with the foundation
and work your way up. Make sure your power supply
capacitors are good. Check cold solder joints.
Ect,ect,ect.

Thanks for your comment! Just putting a few games in a customer's video game store, don't really care if they bring in a ton, we're not splitting profit - he just wants pinball in there so customers can enjoy them.

Is there even a 6 digit version? :O All pictures on IPDB have 7 digits like mine. Perhaps you are thinking of Black Hole or another Gottlieb game of the time?

Thanks,
Otaku

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Is there even a 6 digit version?

Yes there was/is way back in the day,the shop I worked at
had two Devels Dares one was six digit and one was seven digit.
It must have been a transition prototype.

#7 7 years ago

Wrong sounds = almost definitely an interconnect problem. There are other things it could be, but if you suspect the interconnect is bad anyway...

On the other hand, repinning the interconnect is a massive pain even if you can find the pins

What I ended up doing on my time line was making two 'test leds' and then touching them to a signal's source on the mpu and the chip it goes to on the driver board and then making sure they match up

Do the coils fire right in the coil test?

#8 7 years ago

Maybe some pics of the boards, and the main board under the playfield?

#9 7 years ago

You will end up just chasing your tail looking for problems if you don't repin every connector and do the ground mods. Love the game, Sold mine last year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-devils-dare-woes-looking-for-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.