6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Greetings fellow pinball owners and enthusiasts. Happy New Year to you all!!!

Getting back into pinball from a 15 year hiatus, had just purchased a Gottlieb Devil’s Dare pinball machine from a collector and had it for approximately (1) month. The game has been working and sounding great, up until a couple days ago. While playing the game, all (3) pop bumpers went “dead” / would not energize or fire (although lights are still illuminating and flashing), but the rest of the game was working well. I thought it might be a fuse issue, after looking through the manual and schematics, however all the fuses are intact and good. Energized the machine this morning to take out all three (3) pinballs (did not want them to “fall out” when the play field was elevated for service), and noticed the sound is not working as well. The displays are illuminated, drop targets and kick outs worked (had to simulate multi-ball to release all the pinballs to take out of machine). At this time, I have no sound and no pop bumper action.

The one (1) thing in common with all (3) pop bumpers that I noticed was the ground bus. Now I asked the collector (that I bought it from if) the ground modifications were completed, and he stated that he did the harness connector ground modification that John Tuckey (TNT Amusements You Tube video) stated was the only mod needed. Could it be the cursed Gottlieb grounding issue that is causing the sound and pop bumpers to be down? Is this the start of more issues, due to insufficient grounding modifications? I plan on doing all the FULL modifications that are recommended, but would like to get this game back up and running.

If not a grounding issue, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what the issues (sound and pop bumpers) might be? Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated!! Thank you all in advance, I am glad to be here as a new member, and I hopefully await any insight or suggestions.

#2 6 years ago

First thing to check in both cases is if the proper voltages are getting to the boards. I don't have a Devil's Dare schematic to check the sound board, but the pop bumper boards are supplied 5V via pin 5 and ground via pin 6. If either of them is missing then they won't work. Both are supplied via A1J6 (bottom side on the left of the MPU), so also check if reseating that helps at all.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for the tip @zacaj. Just for clarification, when you suggest checking for the 5 volts, should I be getting that across pin 5 and 6 (using a meter)? Or should I be be reading 5 volts to ground on pin 5, and just check for good ground on pin 6?

The fact that both of these happened back to back, within a day, leads me to believe there may be some sort of common factor. I checked for the old orange filter capacitor ( thinking it might be power issue), but that has been upgraded.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Midniterider:

Thank you for the tip zacaj. Just for clarification, when you suggest checking for the 5 volts, should I be getting that across pin 5 and 6 (using a meter)? Or should I be be reading 5 volts to ground on pin 5, and just check for good ground on pin 6?
The fact that both of these happened back to back, within a day, leads me to believe there may be some sort of common factor. I checked for the old orange filter capacitor ( thinking it might be power issue), but that has been upgraded.

I would check both ways to be safe, but they should be the same if the ground is good. Since they didn't happen at the exact same time, I'm not sure whether I'd say they're connected or not, but in either case the possible causes of the pop bumpers all not firing are much simpler to diagnose than losing sound, so if you're lucky then when you fix the pop bumpers you'll fix the sound too.

#5 6 years ago

We have found that the BATTERY on the logic board has leaked and drips into that connector below and the one pin that supplies the 5 volts to those three pop bumper boards is broken or is not making good contact. check that connector carefully.

#6 6 years ago

Thank you good sir, @toddtuckey, for the advice and tip. Will check this afternoon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-devil%e2%80%99s-dare-pop-bumper-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.