• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fff (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Ok,

I've read everything I can about Gottlieb Decagon Score reels, checked my schematics (I do have one, but I'm not an expert at reading it), checked every switch and relay I can think of and I'm still stumped here.

I have a Gottlieb King Rock machine I am working on. For Player 1 and Player 1 only, the 10,000 score reel will not advance when the 1,000 relay goes past 9,000.

Now first, let me tell you what I've checked, because there are some classic causes of this problem that I think I have eliminated.

- I have confirmed that the 10,000 reel works. If I manually activate the K relay, it advances fine.
- The switches for the number positions have all been checked and cleaned. Things run fine and they are in the correct position registering 0, 1-8 and 9. So yes, I have checked the "9" position switch on the 1,000 reel.
- I have checked the EOS switches on the 1,000 pt reel and they are adjusted properly. (BUT - comparing their action to other reels, I do not see a 'tell tale' blue spark when the solenoid activates and hits these switches) which I think is a clue.
- I have checked (as much as I can) the Player stepper. Based on the lack of visible spark, and the fact that things work fine for other players, I thought the problem might be here. From my schematic it looks like P1A and P1B are the two switches involved here and I have cleaned and checked them both. They seem fine.
- Since the 10,000 reels advance properly for other players, I think its less likely to be the problem, but I have checked and cleaned all of the switches on the K and L relay as well.

I'm running out of ideas...

Can anyone think of something else that is different about the current path of Player 1 that I should be checking that could cause this?

Also, other than general advice, I have some questions about the switches in the score reels in general that might help me out.
King Rock is unusual in that the score reel switch positions follow the older style. They have round Decagon reels, but follow the switch position used in the older 'decagon' shaped reels. So for '0' they are open-open-open. For '1-8' they are closed-open-closed and for '9' they are closed-closed-closed. I think this was done on the Gottlieb four player games.

I understand the point of the '0' position switch and the point of the '9' position switch. But what is the point of the switch that tells the machine when a reel is from 1-8 (1-9 actually)?

Thanks in advance!

- Gblaz

#2 7 years ago

The extra tension required to move it past 9-0 sometimes does it.Cleaning is good, spring tension is good,alignment is better. Too much pressure on the washer holding in the reel from the outside?
Saturday I ran into a switch blade that was adjusted, contact point clean,and still wouldn't fire. Looking closer the point was still soldered but moved ever so slightly in a circular direction.
I finally replaced the whole switch blade/point and it works great. Still do not know why it didn't connect.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. I doubled checked the '9' switch on the 1,000 pt reel by bypassing it with a jumper. At that point the 10,000 reel should move when 1,000 pts score. But it doesn't. When I do the same thing on the Player 2 1,000 pt reel, the 10,000 reel does move.

So its not that switch...

#4 7 years ago

ok, inline with the 9s rollover is a switch on the player unit.. (this is from my 74 far out). Check this contact out...

Try a jumper here too. sometimes the pad can get isolated from the finger

fff (resized).JPGfff (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Problem fixed. I was correct in narrowing it down to one of three things: the '9' switch, the EOS switch or the P1A/P1B switches in the Player Stepper.

Turns out that although I thought I had adjusted and cleaned the EOS switches, thats what it was. By eye the switch absolutely looked like it was making contact, but it actually wasn't. I re-adjusted it and problem solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-decagon-score-reel-troubles?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.