4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200224_140344 (resized).jpg
    20200224_140355 (resized).jpg
    20200224_140409 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hello all,
    This is my first post and I'm a 100% noob at this, so apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area and thanks in advance for any help received..

I've been asked to look at a vintage Gottlieb machine for a neighbour. Pre 1973 machine.

We can see that there are some damaged leaf switches and just looking to source a couple of replacements.

I'm just a general electrician, capable of swapping the obvious broken bits, but I know nothing about pinball machines and struggling to identify the correct spares. Not knowing the correct terminology for the various bits is making a google search a bit cumbersome..

Would any kind forum member be able to point me in the right direction?

Pics attached of poorly parts..

20200224_140344 (resized).jpg20200224_140344 (resized).jpg20200224_140355 (resized).jpg20200224_140355 (resized).jpg20200224_140409 (resized).jpg20200224_140409 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Rich
    I don’t see that much uncommonly wrong with those switch blades.

Since this is your first EM machine, I highly recommend going to Pinwiki and read up on repairing EM machines.

If you don’t want to do that, with the machine powered off, tighten each screw that holds a switch stack ( you will develop a feel for what is good and what is loose), then clean each set of contacts by pulling a business card through each set of contacts when they are in the closed position. You will have to trip some switches to get a set of contacts to close.
    When I do this, I will also check each set of contacts with a meter to make sure they make and break.

I recommend you start a thread in EM tech forum, stating which machine it is, and since you’ve already turned it on, describe what it is doing. There’s a lot of people here willing to help you get it going.

As far as parts go, you will need a schematic. Gottlieb schematics are available at Pinball Resource, along with lots of parts. There are many parts vendors out there, and a search on Pinside will give you lots of leads.

Good luck, and keep us informed of progress.

Bill

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, There's some weird stuff going on in that middle set of switches in your second picture. It looks like they are broken off and somebody soldered a wire to them, for some reason.

Pinball Resource probably has any kind of leaf switch you would ever need.

#4 4 years ago

INVALUABLE resource: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

You will be able to get specific help here as needed. Be clear and refer to the above for the correct terms to minimize confusion.

#5 4 years ago

For correcting mangled switches it mostly comes down to putting them back to their original condition.

Original condition means aligned properly for "make" or "break" or "make'break" orientation with about 1mm of wipe between the contact points. Your goal is to get them set up like they were originally. The non modified switches adjacent to the mangled switches will give you some guidance on what the set up needs to be. You can buy parts from Pinball Resource to make the leaf blades you need here:
    http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

measure the thickness of the blades with a micrometer to be sure you are getting the correct stiffness.

Where the switches are broken off and have some wire threaded through them it looks like someone was trying to modify the function of those switches.

That looks like a Gottlieb 4 Square pinball. If I'm correct the mangled switches might only be for lamps and won't be the biggest issue to game play.

Good luck

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Rich
    I don’t see that much uncommonly wrong with those switch blades.
    Since this is your first EM machine, I highly recommend going to Pinwiki and read up on repairing EM machines.
    If you don’t want to do that, with the machine powered off, tighten each screw that holds a switch stack ( you will develop a feel for what is good and what is loose), then clean each set of contacts by pulling a business card through each set of contacts when they are in the closed position. You will have to trip some switches to get a set of contacts to close.
    When I do this, I will also check each set of contacts with a meter to make sure they make and break.
    I recommend you start a thread in EM tech forum, stating which machine it is, and since you’ve already turned it on, describe what it is doing. There’s a lot of people here willing to help you get it going.
    As far as parts go, you will need a schematic. Gottlieb schematics are available at Pinball Resource, along with lots of parts. There are many parts vendors out there, and a search on Pinside will give you lots of leads.
    Good luck, and keep us informed of progress.
    Bill

Hi Bill.
    I'm happy to go and read up on these machines, it's just a bit bewildering to start with and knowing where to look.

Thank you...

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Yeah, There's some weird stuff going on in that middle set of switches in your second picture. It looks like they are broken off and somebody soldered a wire to them, for some reason.
    Pinball Resource probably has any kind of leaf switch you would ever need.

Yep, the 3rd from left switch.
    The tips have snapped off, so when that solenoid activates, the plastic roller slips over the switch tips and end up on the wrong side of the roller.

Its these switches I'm hoping to source..

Thank you..

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

For correcting mangled switches it mostly comes down to putting them back to their original condition.
    Original condition means aligned properly for "make" or "break" or "make'break" orientation with about 1mm of wipe between the contact points. Your goal is to get them set up like they were originally. The non modified switches adjacent to the mangled switches will give you some guidance on what the set up needs to be. You can buy parts from Pinball Resource to make the leaf blades you need here:
    http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common
    measure the thickness of the blades with a micrometer to be sure you are getting the correct stiffness.
    Where the switches are broken off and have some wire threaded through them it looks like someone was trying to modify the function of those switches.
    That looks like a Gottlieb 4 Square pinball. If I'm correct the mangled switches might only be for lamps and won't be the biggest issue to game play.
    Good luck

My guess is, as those wires arent connected to anything, it was some kind of knock up repair to stop the actuating roller from passing over the switch which wasnt successful

#9 4 years ago

Thank you all for your information.
    I might have enough to go looking in the right place..

Research time I think....

#10 4 years ago

There are enough mangled switches there that it may make sense to find a relay bank that is being sold out of a parted out machine. Then you’d have lots of blades to work with. I guess I can’t say whether Steve at PBR would have those exact switches or if he would be providing the generic blades where you have to assemble the contacts and cut to length.

There is a thread on pinside for requesting parts. I’ve also done my share of picking up carcasses off eBay. Also, if you put the name of your game in the thread title and link The thread to the game in the pinside list, you’ll get lots of assistance here.

If I have the right generation of parts for the game you’re working on, I’ll let you know.

Good luck. These electro mechanical games are cool, and you’ll use all of your hands on skills fixing them up

Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-damaged-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.