cbw2.jpg
cbw.jpg
20150605_175908.jpg
20150605_175852.jpg
20150605_175901.jpg
20150605_175843.jpg
CBW test.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I replaced a couple of lamp sockets on CBW and now it seems I have a switch matrix problem. When I coin up the game, nothing happens. Then a few seconds later it will register $0.25. When I coin it up additional times it seems to be registering as the start button (the wizard says "Another coin please") and the game won't start. I went into the service menu but could only find adjustments and no tests. How do I get to the switch test in a Gottlieb system 3 machine? The start and flipper buttons register correctly in the adjustments menu.

#3 8 years ago

Dude, really?? I ran this possibility through my mind and thought, "A combined lamp and switch matrix possibly? Lol, that's silly." I just have miswired one of those sockets. There was one I was not sure about that uses three wires attached. It's the one under the left O rollover insert in "POOL." Looks like it jumps to the socket to the left of it using a stapled piece of braided wire. I removed this and installed a replacement jumper wire in its place as the tabs on the new socket are further away. I should have gotten a photo of the wiring before I started but did not. I got the two pairs of wires correct with respect to the diode (blue/orange on diode band side) but I may have tied in the third wire wrong. Can someone with a CBW get a photo of this socket for me?

#4 8 years ago

I've got a CBW and if I get time this evening I'll post a pic for you

#5 8 years ago

Thanks. I'll check it out Monday.

#6 8 years ago

Here you go 2 shots of each side. First 2 shots are right, next 2 are left

20150605_175843.jpg20150605_175843.jpg
20150605_175852.jpg20150605_175852.jpg20150605_175901.jpg20150605_175901.jpg20150605_175908.jpg20150605_175908.jpg

#7 8 years ago

I don't see a test option when I press the test button. The only choices I see are press test to enter adjustments menu and press start to restore factory defaults. Went all through the adjustments menu but it just rolls back to the beginning of adjustments.

#8 8 years ago

That is indicative of a stuck left flipper switch. When you press the test button you should get the following four screens repeating in sequence assuming the tournament switch is not on:

CBW Test ScreensCBW Test Screens

What you describe is what you get when you hit the left flipper button:

CBW ResetCBW Reset

Was the battery replaced on this MPU board? If so and you haven't done so yet, you *must* load factory settings.

EDIT: I should have also mentioned that if you hold down the test button it should go straight into test mode.

viperrwk

#9 8 years ago

Tried holding down the test button and it just goes into adjustments. I'm looking at the schematic and the switch drive is connector A9J5 and the return is A9J4. These labels were printed on a sticker that was applied to the connector headers (really?). They are all gone on my game and I see labels like P1, P2, etc. printed on the boards. Which board/connectors do I need to disconnect so I can get into switch test? The constant use of white striped wires throughout the entire backbox certainly isn't helping. My gosh this design is horrible.

#10 8 years ago

Ok I disconnected the second socket I replaced and removed the bulb and I can navigate the menus now. It's the yellow 1 insert above the right flipper. I'm pretty sure the yellow wire goes on the band side of the diode. I reversed this and even tried another diode but the issue is still there, even after removing the diode entirely with the bulb installed. Am I missing something regarding the original sockets?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 8 years ago

We figured it out. Evidently the diode has to be isolated from the other side of the socket and on top of that the lugs do not line up with the diode orientation on the original lamp PCBs. How weird... had to do this with both sockets. Didn't know it was designed this way. I bet the lamp/switch strobes are shared on the same wire and the returns are separated as previously suggested. All working and no more lamp ghosting!

So for anyone looking to replace lamp sockets on their Gottlieb games keep this in mind! It will save you a lot of headache.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cue-ball-wizard-switch-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.