• Latest reply 10 months ago by BlackSheep
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 11 months ago

I have just inherited 2 pinball machines, Cross Town 1966 Gottlieb and Sharpshooter 1979 Game Plan, from my Uncle Mickey in Chicago. I managed to drive them to Southeastern Massachusetts and set them up. Both turn on and Sharpshooter plays well (a few broken tabs and I already fixed a flipper) but Cross Town's score motor keeps going round and round and round. It plays while the score motor keeps turning, but no scores register and the game never ends, I assume because the score motor needs to reset (stop going around) before the game can actually start. I have a schematic, which I don't really understand. I am a beginner.

Also, someone has put in an alligator clip wire going from the 110 volts main fuse to the transformer. Without this the alligator in place the machine won't even turn on - hopefully I can figure it out!

#2 11 months ago

I'm guessing that the alligator clip is because the wire from the fuse block to the transformer is open somewhere.

As far as the motor continually running, the machine is not seeing something not ready to go. Do all of the score reels go to zero? Are all of the stepper units able to move crisply? Does the credit wheel decrement?

I recommend you read up on EM repairs on Pinwiki before starting this journey.

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from BlackSheep:

Cross Town's score motor keeps going round and round and round.

Which of these switches/relays is keeping the score motor going round and round and round?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 11 months ago

Just to add, I don't think an alligator clip carrying 120V is a good idea at all. Get that puppy soldered or find out why it's there in the first place. Thank you, now I'll get back to drinking my Torpedo IPA...

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I'm guessing that the alligator clip is because the wire from the fuse block to the transformer is open somewhere.
As far as the motor continually running, the machine is not seeing something not ready to go. Do all of the score reels go to zero? Are all of the stepper units able to move crisply? Does the credit wheel decrement?
I recommend you read up on EM repairs on Pinwiki before starting this journey.

Hello - I have been in the process to educating myself. Thank you. I am also looking for someone local to help/or do the repair because I often learn better visually and hands on. Score reels are on ZERO and remain on ZERO. There is action on the playfield with flippers, bumpers, bells and rollovers - but no scoring or registering that the balls have returned. If I can trace back to a switch that isn't working, then what do I do? Clean it? replace it? bypass it to further test? I think I need to start with the transformer and start-up problems, they most likely relate to the score motor never shutting off.

#6 11 months ago

Do you know how to use a multimeter? If not, lots of visuals on UTube.

Second, do you have a schematic? If not, contact Pinball Resource to buy a schematic. Gottlieb schematics are generally not available for free, since they keep a tight lid on such stuff.

Third, - have you found the relays that Howard outlined, and have you checked them? You will need to visually inspect them to see which contacts are closed during the startup operation you described.

Fourth - with schematic in hand, find out if the wire that is supposed to be carrying power to the transformer is bad. You will need to use the multimeter on ohms to figure out if the wire is bad.

Let us know. Just as a final note, there are tons of videos out there showing how to check the stuff mentioned. Its only daunting the first time.

3 weeks later
#7 10 months ago

Billc479 Hello again - Yes I have the original schematic and multi-meter. It turned out that the scoremotor only needed to be physically moved backwards which released a switch and the game fired up with all it bells and 'EL' doors opening and closing! Now I'm changing rubbers and replacing the flipper links as they were worn and not very responsive.
THANK YOU!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cross-town-score-motor-never-stops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.