6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I recently got my Cross Town working with the help of Nic and his tour. Been working great. The other day it developed an issue where sometimes the ball release bar wouldn't go back down after you scored a point, so you could play more than the 5 balls the game was set on. When you scored points, it would go up and down as the point relay (i'm assuming) added the points. So today i go to look at it. It had been played a number of times this afternoon before i got home to look at it. I noticed the playfield lights weren't on, didn't pay much attention to it. Pulled it out, checked the switches in back, and accessed the backglass lights to replace a couple that weren't working. The Last ball light and a couple of the lights behind the the name. I replaced them and checked all the match light bulbs. Went back around front, started a game, still no playfield lights. Started looking, and found the fuse burnt. I replaced it, it immediately blew. I started temporarily placed a bigger fuse in to check, the lights came on faintly. the fuse (15A) didn't blow, but got hot. The was within about 20 seconds. if i pull the backbox light fuse, the pf light fuse (10a) doesn't blow, but the lights are faint. I don't think i am getting full voltage. Where can i check and what should i check. Also any thoughts on what to check on the ball release issue. I didn't see anything on the Z relay, or the N relay, all switches are clean, and look like they are correctly adjusted. i have a schematic if needed. I appreciate any and all help. sorry for the book, i want to give as much info as i can.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you're blowing fuses you have a short, not low voltage. Don't put in a bigger fuse, jumper a small circuit breaker with the correct rating instead until you fix it.
You might find it by careful inspection, or start removing things from the circuit until the circuit breaker doesn't blow.

i didn't have a circuit breaker, so i used the fuse for a test. Didn't leave it in. The 6v circuit is only for the lights. Since the fuse that blows is the pf fuse and not the backbox fuse, that makes me believe it is on the pf. but if i pull the backbox fuse, the pf one doesn't blow but there is obviously a problem on the pf, because the backbox lights aren't dim like the pf ones.

#4 6 years ago

Ok, i found a piece of solder bridging a light socket. Must have fallen when i lifted the pf. Lights fixed. The ball release like it isn't coming down far enough when the 1 point relay hits, sometimes it does, sometimes not. It has to come down so far to open the switch on the arm. that switch is adjusted to break as soon as possible. Maybe the switch on the 1 point needs adjusting?

#6 6 years ago

I'll post some. This game is a ball lift game. So there is a solenoid that releases the balls in the trough to the lift mech. Then on the first ball as soon as you score a point, the solenoid should turn off and the arm comes back down in the trough to stop the balls from being able to go back to the lift mech. What mine is doing sometimes is the arm goes up/down on every "click" of the one point relay. So if you score 5 points, it hits five times, and the arm goes down/up five times. On the arm, there is a switch stack, that as it comes down, it should open the bottom switch in the stack. But it seems like when it is doing the down/up thing, it isn't going down far enough to open the switch. The arm is kind of "elbow" shaped the a rounded corner, and it has to go past the corner to open the switch.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

You have a short somewhere along the one point circuit somewhere.
First thing I would look at is set up of the switches at the trough release. There are some that follow it.
Is there anything you have done recently that could have not been completed properly where there is a short somewhere?
Have you re-seated a playfield jones plug recently where you may have inserted it incorrectly?

No, all i have done is check the switches and replace some bulbs. Today, it seems to be working properly again. I think one of the switches on the one point relay is out of adjustment. I looked at them, but didn't specifically see anything. The problem developed a few days ago, and happens sporadically. Before that, all worked correctly, since we got the game working a couple of weeks ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cross-town-issues?tu=Insane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.