(Topic ID: 75373)

Gottlieb Cross Town - Game never ending. Please assist

By MurphyPeoples

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I took a trip to Virginia this past weekend to help my wifes cousin ressurect his Cross Town. We got the whole thing running, but the game never ends.

I can manually activate the Game Over coil. The game will end. You can then hit the start button, and everything resets, but the reels don't zero (yet). The Ball Trough remains open the whole time and continutes to allow balls to load. It never locks down. So the game never ends.

We've got it set to three ball. Can anyone point at anything specific that might be causing this so we can look for it?
Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Any chance you have a schematic?

I have a sweet Hearts Schematic. The game is from a similar era. Maybe I could guide you a bit from that.

#3 10 years ago

On this era of Gottlieb, Game Over is mostly controlled by the Match Relay. If the Match Relay doesn't activate, then it won't reach game over.

Specific to Cross Town though, Game Over ('X') is fed by two switches on the Match Relay ('O'), and switches at score motor 1A and 2C. If 'O' is activating, but 'X' is not, then those are the four places to check.

But if 'O' isn't activating, then need to look into that first. On Cross Town, 'O' is fed by either the 4th and 5th ball trough switches (5-ball play), or the 2nd and 3rd ball trough switches (3-ball play), plus a normally closed 'On Ball Release' switch and a switch at score motor 1C.

The switch at score motor 1C is common to lots of other things, so that's likely working if the rest of the game is working. The 'On Ball Release' switch is often a culprit, as it's in the switch stack there at the ball trough gate, and that switch stack frequently gets bent. The ball trough switches can oxidize and not make good contact too though.

However, since the ball trough gate isn't de-energizing, the Ball Release coil is activated via a switch on the 'Z' (Reset) relay, and then held active via a lock-in switch on the Ball Release switch stack and a normally closed switch on the 10pt relay ('N'). The ball trough gate will stay open and let you keep playing ball 1 until 10 points are scored. Then when the 'N' relay pulls in, that switch is supposed to open and deactivate the Ball Release coil, closing the gate.

So those might be some places to look.

#4 10 years ago

You are in much better hands with DirtFlipper! I think he is part Gottlieb EM pinball machine and part human. I could be wrong though. It might be ALL Gottlieb EM pinball machine!!!

#5 10 years ago

Great Stuff there sir!!! I'll use those tips and coach my wifes cousin from 200+ miles away.
We'll find it!
Murph

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 2,000.00
Playfields
Trident Pinball Homebrew
Playfields
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
Women

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-cross-town-game-never-ending-please-assist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.