Gottlieb Criss Cross turns on but doesn't play

By samarmitage

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi Guys

I'm new to EM pinball machines and the forum so be gentle as i'm only a newbie!

I recently bought a Gottlieb Criss Cross machine, in good working order, from a reputable seller. it has had a few teething problems (swithes coming loose and slightly dirty connections) but nothing major until recently. The machine looks to have been well serviced, new rubbers, new bulbs and soldering where required.

The game was playing well, but cut out mid game. I replaced the fuses and now the game acts strangely. Before it cut out i would get general illumination when i turned the machine on at the plug socket, it no longer does this. If I press the start button the ball release, the score resets and the playfield lights up, but nothing else happens. The flippers and pop bumpers are dead and the score wont advance if a ball hits/rolls over a feature.

I have lifted the playfield to look underneath and the game over relay coil appears to be stuck in place (i can manually reset it). I presume this is why the game will not function, but I cannot find the issue to cause the game over relay to behave like this.

I do not have a schematic for the machine and cannot find one from either of the places suggested for Gottlieb schematics.

I do not have a volt meter/soldering iron so any minor repairs I have done so far are with a jewellers file or a screwdriver. I do have access to a volt meter as my neighbour has offered to lend me his.

Any help would be massively appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sam

#2 6 years ago

Hard without a schematic, but from what you say I would guess a switch on Game Over. Did you try Pinball Resource for a schematic? http://www.pbresource.com/

Oh, are all the fuse socket connections good?

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the response @currieddog, I don't have a multimeter so not sure 100% if all the fuse sockets are good, but the playfield lights up when I press the game start button so i presume they are all OK.

I did check the 4th and 5th ball in play switches but they are both fine, make good contact and are clean so its not them.

I do need a schematic, I'll try the link you suggested

#4 6 years ago

2 quick things to try.

Hold relay. With game on, just close switch - sometimes game will come to life.

And score motor - check it is in correct position - game won't work if not.

#5 6 years ago

You said some things changed after changing fuses, so I would give them a good spin (with the power off) and make sure they're seated correctly. They do more than just GI.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
1,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-criss-cross-turns-on-but-doesnt-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.