Gottlieb - Countdown

By Twps

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Folks,

I've been experiencing some interesting behaviour on my Countdown machine recently, and have run into something I cannot seem to troubleshoot.

The score displays went funky, I blew the 2A slo blow fuse for the yellow drop targets at the same time. After the fuse was replaced, the next time the game is powered on the fuse blows again immediately. I traced this to a transistor on that circuit, which has been replaced. The game now functions properly, however the high score seems to have been replaced and the coin count is 55 (typically the coin count maxed out at 15) when I run the diagnostics the scoreboards are blank, except when I run 11 & 12, the scoreboard test, where they function properly. When the game is in attract mode score displays 2 through 4 are missing the last digit. When the game is played in 4 player mode all score displays work properly and the scores appear to be counting correctly as well.

I have recently replaced the driver board with a NOS board. The knocker, as the coil burnt out a while back, and now the transistor on the yellow drop target circuit.

Self diagnostics is clear.

What should I be looking at? Is this a potential CPU board issue?

Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

If you haven't repined or replaced the CPU->Driver Board harness, this must be done. For some mystical reason, a loss of continuity through this cable can cause devices to lock ON. It is likely to have hidden corrosion at the crimp points.

Pinwiki.com has that harness' pin-to-pin assignments.

#3 6 years ago

I think on that game you have to zero out the data by pressing the button on the MPU to reset each audit.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Twps:

and the coin count is 55 (typically the coin count maxed out at 15)

That's usually not an issue. Our Solar Ride here has credits in the 90s right now. If it drops down below 15, it'll go back to maxing out. It's really useful for parties, even when there's an "add coin" button on the machine.

It does sound like the MPU lost power or suffered enough of a surge that it's "forgotten" what it once knew.

#5 6 years ago

Appreciate the responses. At this time and after checking into all of the scenarios shared, I'm guessing I've fried something on the CPU board. I'll see if I can trace the issue on the board or replace the board all together.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Twps:

Appreciate the responses. At this time and after checking into all of the scenarios shared, I'm guessing I've fried something on the CPU board. I'll see if I can trace the issue on the board or replace the board all together.

No, it does not sound like you fried something. You have confirmed the displays work in test.

What people have tried to convey to you is that the information held in Battery backed up Ram is now corrupted. Hexidecimal values (0, 1, 2,....9, A, B, C, D, E, F) for 7 segment displays greater than 9 do not display as legible numbers. Some even result in blanks. That is what you are experiencing.

You will need to go into Test/Bookkeeping and clear (zero) each location to clear out the jumble of data that somehow ended up in memory. Then, you will have to use the credit button to advance the replay levels to your desired scores.

If you have an original board with a Nicad battery still mounted on the MPU board, I would suspect alkaline damage to traces and connector pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-countdown-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.