(Topic ID: 319244)

Gottlieb Count-Down Switches Don't Work / Register, Fuses Blow, etc -- (SOLVED)

By ThePinballCo-op

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.47.16 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePinballCo-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

OK I'm at a loss here and I'm asking for help. Count-Down.

In switch test the game recognizes all the switches and gives the correct number for each one. So it appears that there is no issue with the game. However, when a game is played it will not recognize all the standup switches (all the same number 53) and it also won't recognize six of the eight others in the same column (00-50. 60 & 70 operate fine).

What the heck. How can the game recognize the switch in switch test and properly identify it with the correct number but then not recognize it at all in the game?
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.47.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.47.16 PM (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

One more piece to add: The pop bumper also does not register in a game, which makes switch 50 the common (right rollover) the common switch in the bad row/column.

I also just noticed that it doesn't go intro attract mode. Instead there are lights that constantly stay lit: right out lane blue light, left rollover, right special when lit, and the count down and bonus lights above the saucer. All lights have a blue & x tracer (blue and red, blue and orange, etc)

Something is up.

#3 1 year ago

OK last thing then I'm going to bed. Switches 00 through 50 do not register, along with switches 51 and 53.

Switches 60 and 70 do register, but it doesn't seem to follow the proper game logic (yellow drops lights the left green in lane, for some reason)

#4 1 year ago

SOLVED #1: I figured out the switch issues. The Ni-Wumpf board was not set properly on the dip switches. Once set, it now works as it should.

The next issue is that the 2A fuse on the Green/Blue/Yellow drops keeps blowing. The Blue drops do not reset as well as the other two. Is it possible it's just dirty and to clean it out? Or is this a more serious issue?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Test the big transistor that drives the blue bank it may be failing

I did. Transistor checks out.

The fuse blew every 2-3 blue drop resets. I played around with the blue coil and it was very dirty/gummy. I took out the coil, changed it with a new one, cleaned the plunger and put it back. It's silky smooth now and I just dropped the blue drops 20 times in a row with no issues.

Maybe that was it? Problem solved? Seems it.

I'm all set now. Gonna leave this thread here with "solved" so others can search it for help if they need.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Was it trying to.reset multiple times when it was blowing? That could have been it

It's hard to tell because it was so quiet but that was what I thought I heard, which made me think to check the cleanliness of the coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePinballCo-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-count-down-switch-issue?tu=ThePinballCo-op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.