5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arolden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone

Appreciate some confirmation on my troubleshooting process. I am working on a System 1 - a Count-Down. The MPU board had been destroyed by battery corrosion and would not boot. So, I replaced all of the boards with a Pascal all-in-one. The game now boots and plays normally. When I first started working on the game, I noticed that someone had removed the yellow target bank reset coil. I replaced it, and then I discovered that the coil would lock on. This must be why it was removed in the first place.

So, as I have a new Pascal board, I do not suspect the board is a problem. The coil and coil diode are also new. So, what is left in the circuit? After looking at Clay's guide I realised that this coil is driven by a 2N5875 transistor under the playfield. It tested good, however I did not remove it from the circuit, so it could be an inaccurate test.

Am I right in thinking that the transistor under the playfield is what is causing the coil to lock on? As far as I can tell there is nothing else in the coil's path. If I am correct so far, what is the best replacement transistor? Another 2N5875, or is there a better replacement part?

Thanks for any advice

#2 5 years ago

Bump!

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will try an MJ2955 and see how I go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-count-down-drop-target-reset-coil-locking-on?tu=arolden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.