You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Corral 1s unit (resized).jpg
Corral SM (resized).jpg
Corral.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 6 years ago

OK, I've been over and over this and just can't figure it out. Occasionally when the units hits 9 everything will seize up: units relay, tens relay, and 0-9 unit all energize and hold. When I press the units or tens it will let go and the "9" will usually advance, and does the tens. Switches all clean and some re-solders on the units switches. 9th pos. sw. and other reel switches seem to be clean and adjusted correctly (I have the 9th pos. sw. pretty open so it's not fighting that). Also getting occasional buzz from the units relay on scores. I gave the units plate a good cleaning. ???

Corral.pdfCorral.pdf

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

When I press the units or tens it will let go and ...

Units or Tens relays or Unit drive solenoids?

#3 6 years ago

Hmmm, I had checked units and tens but not the unit drive, which is pretty low.

Another intermittent thing (related?): sometimes get a 10 instead of 1 from an unlit bumper. The three motor sw. that control them have been checked and cleaned. And the P relay, which is pretty dead, is wired in with one of the bumper relays.

Corral SM (resized).jpgCorral SM (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Is your 1 Point/N relay stuck on too? If so, it may be that the Normally Closed switch on the 1 Point score reel isn't opening to release the relay.

Corral 1s unit (resized).jpgCorral 1s unit (resized).jpg

/Mark

#5 6 years ago

No, it's intermittent, but nothing is sticking.

#6 6 years ago

I should clarify. When things seize up as you described, is the 1 Point/N relay locked on too? That could explain the 1s and 10s score reels and the 0-9 unit sticking on.

#7 6 years ago

It is the 1's (N) and 10's (M) relays that lock on. I should have put the letters in above. So, those two and the 0-9 unit. The 1's and 10's reels are locked but will move if tapped. The "add units unit" sw. in your snippet is well-gapped and clean. It kind of seems like something on the N relay because of the sometime buzz and it just doesn't seem to have a clean click/advance like the M and Q do. But if it is there I haven't found it. It has that "floating contact" feel but I've crimped all of them.

#8 6 years ago

I suspect that both the 10s/M relay and the 0-9 unit are stuck on because the 1s/N relay is stuck on. That should be easy to verify. Next time things lock up, check:

- the switch on the 1s/N relay (slate-white wire to red-white wire) that leads through the 9th position of the 1s score reel to the 10s/M relay.
- the switch on the 1s/N relay (green-yellow wire to red-white wire) that leads to the 0-9 unit coil.

If you can stick a piece of paper or something similar between the contacts of those switches and have the 10s/M relay or 0-9 unit coil relax, then the 1s/N relay is the culprit.

So the question remains, why does the 1s/N relay stick on? If it's not the switch shown in reply #4 (which should open once the 1s score reel plunger pulls in), you'll have to go through the other switches that could fire the 1s/N relay. There are a bunch of them: 1 point contact switches, Motor 1D and B relay, Motor 3D and C relay, Motor 4D and A relay, and Motor switch 1C. The good news is that you can eliminate all of them (other than the one from reply #4) by verifying that the Motor Switch 1C (orange-black wire to red-white wire) opens. Stick paper in there when things lock up to see if that releases the 1pt/N relay.

Another test that might be interesting would be to stick a piece of paper into the holder switch on the N relay (slate-white-red wire to yellow-blue wire) next time things lock up. If that causes the N relay to relax, the problem is either that switch, the one from reply #4 or somewhere in between.

#9 6 years ago

Late and a quick test with paper blocking that N relay sw. (SL-WH-R/YEL-BL) already sounds better and doesn't seize. Scores a little odd though ...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Late and a quick test with paper blocking that N relay sw. (SL-WH-R/YEL-BL) already sounds better and doesn't seize. Scores a little odd though ...

That switch is supposed to hold the 1pt/N relay in until the 1s score reel plunger has completed its full stroke and opens the other switch. Since you've disabled it with the paper the 1pt/N relay only pulses while a target switch is closed, barely enough time for the score reel to do its thing. I'm pretty sure your problem is in that hold circuit. My money is on the switch from reply #4. Does it operate like the switches on the other score reels?

#11 6 years ago

It was the contact on the N relay at that circuit. It's a bit recessed so I couldn't get a good crimp on it, but did get a small dab of solder in. Thanks for pinpointing it, MarkG!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-corral-intermittent-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.