(Topic ID: 142936)

Gottlieb Coin Boxes throughout the years . . .

By cpiel

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9075.jpg
    coinbox706.jpg
    RScbdisp.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz

#2 8 years ago

OK, I know it's not the most endearing topic . . . . . but I'm converting my collection of 8 from free play to coin op and I need some help figuring out what years Gottlieb changed their style coin boxes between 1953 and 1974. My reference box is from Bowling Queen although I don't have the cover. It seems to fit into all the games I have which came after but it does not fit Flipper. I'm guessing that maybe the box style in the later woodrails may have carried over to the early shallow cabinet wedgeheads which would have included the Flipper series, Foto Finish and a few others and then once the cabinet deepened, the box size changed. If the coin boxes were the same from 53 to 60, then I just need to start seeking 4 of the same style. If you have any input on this or have any of these coin boxes for sale, please lmk - thanks in advance for any inputs!

1953 Grand Slam
    1958 Sittin Pretty
    1959 Universe
    1960 Flipper
    1964 Bowling Queen (have the original coin box)
    1965 Bank-a-Ball (BQ box fits)
    1968 Fun Land (BQ box fits)
    1974 Sky Jump (BQ box fits)

**UPDATE**
    It appears the following cash boxes are needed for the above games. Please PM me if you have any lying around for sale - thank you!

(3) 8" x 5" (for the 3 woodrails)
    (1) 11" x 5 1/2" (for 1960 Flipper)
    (3) 11" x 8 1/4" (for the other wedgeheads)

#3 8 years ago

I think you have selected a complex topic in which there seems not necessarily a logical explanation for what box was in which machine. There are other threads on this subject but it would really be great at some time to try & get an era roll call on coin boxes with pics.
    Like you I favour coin operated machines so I have coin boxes in all my machines but have chosen to fabricate the boxes rather than purchasing & incurring high shipping costs from US.
    This is a box I fabricated for my GTB 1958 Rocketship which is an exact replica of the era:

RScbdisp.jpgRScbdisp.jpg

This is a coin box also an exact replica for GTB machines of the 70s era prior to the large coin door (note the slightly offset 3rd chute slot):

coinbox706.jpgcoinbox706.jpg

#4 8 years ago

I can add that correct coin box for 1954 Gottlieb is 8 inches by 5 inches.

I keep a look out for these but they are very hard to find.

I don't even have a lid for the only one I have!

IMG_9075.jpgIMG_9075.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I've found that the coin boxes, at least for the Gottlieb wedgeheads, seem to fit one another. The only exception I can remember is the door on my Jacks Open didn't want to close with one of them in there. Tim Arnold came to the rescue and turned me on to one that fit as I recall.

Pretty much the same with the sixties Williams reverse wedgeheads. Although I think when they went to the deeper cabinets they also went to a same sized but deeper coin box.

So my motto is the same as the USPS uses for their flat rate boxes... "If it fits it ships". Although of course would rather have the correct coin box for all my games... and probably do for the most part.

But now as far as lids, I've got too many missing to want to go down 'that' road.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I've found that the coin boxes, at least for the Gottlieb wedgeheads, seem to fit one another.

Maybe from mid 60s onward, but they don't fit the shallow cabinet style of the early 60s such as the Flipper series.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from cpiel:

Maybe from mid 60s onward, but they don't fit the shallow cabinet style of the early 60s such as the Flipper series.

Yeah, now that's one thing I can't say, as I don't own any of those earlier style cabinets from Gottlieb, like Rack a Ball and the like. I'm a coin op enthusiast but only have experience with games in my collection.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from cpiel:

But maybe the one I have in my Mystic Marvel will fit all 50's? 8 by 5 inches.

It is in just right place for coins from Heath Chute to drop in.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

But maybe the one I have in my Mystic Marvel will fit all 50's? 8 by 5 inches.
    It is in just right place for coins from Heath Chute to drop in.

And that's another thing... I'm gonna have to chase down coin boxes for most of my woodrails when I get around to shopping them out. I'm trying to knock out my metal rails first... for whatever reason.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from cpiel:

OK, I know it's not the most endearing topic . . . . . but I'm converting my collection of 8 from free play to coin op and I need some help figuring out what years Gottlieb changed their style coin boxes between 1953 and 1974. My reference box is from Bowling Queen although I don't have the cover. It seems to fit into all the games I have which came after but it does not fit Flipper. I'm guessing that maybe the box style in the later woodrails may have carried over to the early shallow cabinet wedgeheads which would have included the Flipper series, Foto Finish and a few others and then once the cabinet deepened, the box size changed. If the coin boxes were the same from 53 to 60, then I just need to start seeking 4 of the same style. If you have any input on this or have any of these coin boxes for sale, please lmk - thanks in advance for any inputs!
    1953 Grand Slam
    1958 Sittin Pretty
    1959 Universe
    1960 Flipper
    1964 Bowling Queen (have the original coin box)
    1965 Bank-a-Ball (BQ box fits)
    1968 Fun Land (BQ box fits)
    1974 Sky Jump (BQ box fits)

One question...

Why?

#11 8 years ago

For me that's the way it was & I like that feeling-ok not everyones' cup of tea but certainly mine. It brings back great memories as a young guy where I would get the next 'zack' (5p) to play a machine. I see the coin mechs as an integral part of the operation of a machine in terms of originality and realism & I find visitors love the notion of inserting a coin to have a game.

#13 8 years ago

Great initiative Forceflow thks

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

One question...
    Why?

I lucked into a HUO Bowling Queen last year which was setup for dimes. At the time all my other titles were set to free play and I had planned to set the BQ up the same way. However, I was surprised how much I enjoyed dropping a coin into the game and have it come to life rather than just pressing a button. I eventually decided to convert the other titles to coin op as well like they were back in the day - if you wanna play, you have to pay haha.

Another practical reason is, once all the games are restored and playing great, I'm thinking about holding fund raisers a couple times a year where everyone brings a pocket full of coins, has a fun night of old school pinball and some home cooked food and a local organization or family receives the proceeds. A friend of mine is thinking about doing something similar, but I think he's going to just leave his on free play and only switch them for the fund raisers.

#15 8 years ago

It's just me, but I have no nostalgia about dropping coins in games. Playing the games yes, but I don't care how they get started.

I lost way too much money in games over the years to feel nostalgia about that.

But to each his own.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's just me, but I have no nostalgia about dropping coins in games. Playing the games yes, but I don't care how they get started.
    I lost way too much money in games over the years to feel nostalgia about that.
    But to each his own.

Personally, I've always kind of like the sounds the coin made as it went through the coin mech and when it dropped into the coinbox.

Plus, I don't consider a game really "complete" unless it has the coin box.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm using the pinball machines as "banks". The money from the coin boxes fund upkeep and replacement parts for the games.

Bruce

#18 8 years ago

Yup, the box, as well as the mechs complete the machine, but thankfully, are nor required. As I would have to have mods in all of my machines to bypass that feature. dont know why so many were left out??? whut did they do with them? use them as chicken feeders?
    Like the Bank thing Fever! wish my kids felt that way too!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-coin-boxes-throughout-the-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.