Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Mttw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2C731A71-D857-485B-9F9B-01112FF3AD5C (resized).jpeg
    Gottlieb coil (resized).jpg
    Gottlieb coil 2 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I wanted to ask if any of you have ever replaced the A 9738 Continuous Service Hold Relay coil with one of those current reproductions.
    The problem arises that the coil works immediately well, but after a while it heats up it starts vibrating, so much so that it almost sounds like a bell buzzer (at lowered it is still bearable but at raised floor it stuns you)
    The pinball machine being a 1975 already mounts the second type reels or without washer. Even when recovering the Washer from another old type coil, the difference is important we are in the order of about a millimeter, so much so that it does not attract the anchor.
    Measured without a washer, the old one measures 25.6mm, the new one 24.4mm.
    Will it be enough to shim with a 1 mm washer?
    I attach photos

Gottlieb coil (resized).jpgGottlieb coil (resized).jpgGottlieb coil 2 (resized).jpgGottlieb coil 2 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Had same problem on a high 300. Coil for Marco vibrated and buzzed tried a washer still not good. Coil from pbr was longer than original filled down both ends to get it fit, been working good for last 2 months, on location at bowling alley.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, what washers did you put on? (Internal and external thicknesses)

#4 1 year ago

A very small on, maybe 1/32 inch. Put it between coil and mounting plate to get coil closer to contact piece.Didn't fix problem with coil from Marco.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jpinb:

Had same problem on a high 300. Coil for Marco vibrated and buzzed tried a washer still not good. Coil from pbr was longer than original filled down both ends to get it fit, been working good for last 2 months, on location at bowling alley.

Going through the same thing right now. Not my first Rodeo with a Gottlieb but the Macro coils I just installed are doing the same on a Gridiron. They were shorter than the original coils and thought they may not be as strong. And Grid has several that are active during play and wow is it loud.

I've tried spacer washers and low tension of the contacts but they still buzz. I need to place an order at some point soon but.....where on earth is my checkbook? Haven't used that thing in years.

#6 1 year ago

Have any of you tried to use Clay's method of using a weaker coil with diodes and a capacitor to eliminate buzzing. He does it to keep continuous relays from burning. So it might also eliminate buzzing.

It's at the bottom of section 3D. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Have any of you tried to use Clay's method of using a weaker coil with diodes and a capacitor to eliminate buzzing. He does it to keep continuous relays from burning. So it might also eliminate buzzing.

May have to try that, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: ordered the caps and diodes from Amazon, will report back in a few days. Will try this on the Macro coils.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Qualcuno di voi ha provato a usare il metodo di Clay di utilizzare una bobina più debole con diodi e un condensatore per eliminare il ronzio. Lo fa per evitare che i relè continui si brucino. Quindi potrebbe anche eliminare il ronzio.
    È in fondo alla sezione 3D. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

Thank you, the fact remains that the modification is to be done with the old type coils or perhaps using the old type coil chassis, because it makes me think that when Gottlieb put the new generation coils without washer (see photo) he changed also the chassis that contains the coil. In fact I tried to put the new coil with the washer but the relay did not attract the iron plate that closes the contacts. I will try to measure the two types of chassis.

#9 1 year ago

I've have had this issue with aftermarket GTB and particularly WMS hold coils. I have found that a lot of the 'chattering' / buzzing noise is greatly reduced when you file the iron end of the coil perfectly flat and fit a new or good armature so that both mating surfaces are perfectly flat. I also fit a new armature spring too.

I've read the diode/capacitor idea too so might try that if I just cannot keep a coil quiet.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Fantastic solution!!!! Thanks for the thread and reminds me I should thoroughly reread Clay’s guide.

I replaced the usual suspects with replacements from Macro and they buzzed quite loudly no matter what I tried.

Went with the cap to reduce ripple that might contribute to any vibration/noise. Almost absolutely silent now. Will do this from now on. In fact about to do the Game Over on the Cleopatra.

2C731A71-D857-485B-9F9B-01112FF3AD5C (resized).jpeg2C731A71-D857-485B-9F9B-01112FF3AD5C (resized).jpeg
    #11 1 year ago

great idea, but the modification is feasible with the old coils (for example the 9738 or 9740) or do you have to use the 16890? from the photo posted I seem to see the original reel. If so, does the original coil work without vibrating? thank you

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from nuvell:

great idea, but the modification is feasible with the old coils (for example the 9738 or 9740) or do you have to use the 16890? from the photo posted I seem to see the original reel. If so, does the original coil work without vibrating? thank you

You still have to shim it to fit better and it does help. I will likely only order the coils from PBR and not deal with the Macro version

1 year later
    #13 11 months ago

Did you add the capacitor on all 3 relays?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-coil-old-and-new and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.