(Topic ID: 190409)

Gottlieb Close Encounters Roto Wheel Adjustment??

By cougar_nut

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

We have a close encounters of the third kind pinball that is having some issues with the rotowheel. It rotates as it should when triggered to do so, but rarely does it register a score when you hit it. I have done some investigating and it appears to me that there is something out of adjustment. when the wheel stops the targets are off by enough that they end up between the contacts behind the rotowheel. So when you hit a target it is not contacting things behind it and registering. If we pull the glass and hold the targets in their proper position and then press the targets they score normally.

I looked at the gear that drives the rotowheel and it does not look worn as best I can tell. Can someone please let me know if there is a way to adjust the rotowheel to correct this? If there is no adjustment can someone tell me what they suggest to reconcile the situation?

Regards,
Chris Farmer

#2 6 years ago

There is a PDF around somewhere with alignment instructions. Just worked on a Circus roto unit which had been monkeyed with in the past. The targets would stop to one side of the proper position, hits wouldn't register, and subsequent spins often failed to move the wheel. Eventually took each bit apart for a clean and lube, then followed the Gottlieb recommendations. Spins & registers great now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roto-target-advice#post-2678467
http://www.papinball.com/tips/GTB_roto_adjustment.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Biffbar. Will take a run at it. I am curious...if there is no wear to the gear how much slop would you expect the rotowheel itself to have? I know subjective question LOL. Appreciate your help. I dug some on the site but must have not used the right search term.

Chris

#4 6 years ago

Here is that PDF: http://arcarc.xmission.com/Newsletters/Gottlieb%20On-Target%20Newsletters/ontarget_april81.pdf

After it was disassembled, cleaning, oiled and greased, I moved the A-264 stop pawl spring to the outer holes. Gained more spring tension and reduced any interference from the adjacent drive pawl spring. The game came with both springs side by side in the closer holes (less tension), which might have been a mistake from a previous tinkerer. The drive pawl doesn't need much spring tension as the solenoid does the heavy work, but the stop pawl needs a clean action and a strong spring for accurate stops.

Getting the stop pawl working right made all the difference (otherwise had occasional bad spins, no spins, and off center = no scoring). Working snappy now, no slop, stops right on the target. Everything Gottlieb said to adjust was out of whack in my example. Took less time to do the job right than I spent poking at this or that for no good result. The game is much more fun when the wheel is working as it should.

#5 6 years ago

Awesome thanks again Biffbar. That is super helpful. I will report back once I get the chance to do all this

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

Update to this post. I was down at my dad's and with the machine this weekend. Loosened the 3 adjustment screws and adjusted the rotowheel until the targets lined up with the contacts. Also checked the 2 allen head screws that hold the roto wheel assembly while I was at it. The allen head screws were tight so nothing to do there. Took a couple times before I got the roto wheel alignment dialed in. All is working now.

Thanks for all the help Biffbar!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-close-encounters-roto-wheel-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.