20160130_162457_(resized).jpg
IMG_1865_(resized).JPG
IMG_1864_(resized).JPG
IMG_1862_(resized).JPG
IMG_1863_(resized).JPG
IMG_1861_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a Gottlieb Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. It is so pristine, looks like it was manufactured yesterday. Playfield and backglass both 100%, inside is spotless. Looks like it was in a plastic bag forever. Really a find if you like System 1 machines.

The problem I have is first, does anyone have a picture of the component layout and markings of any of the boards, especially the MPU board? I cant identify any of the components. Second, I have a problem in which several of the rollovers (switches) dont work and the A, B and C lights are lit all the time. The issue seems to be all the switches on Strobe 1 are dead. Goes to A1J7-13. How can I test this out? All the switch sets and diodes test good and look beautiful.

Mark

#2 8 years ago

Every connector is pretty much unique and cant really be hooked up wrong.

With one exception, the power supply board...

#3 8 years ago

Want to know how to test out Strobe 1. MPU has no markings on it whatsoever. The connectors are correct..

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from BrandyMB:

Want to know how to test out Strobe 1. MPU has no markings on it whatsoever. The connectors are correct..

Start reading

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

#5 8 years ago

The manual and parts catalog have info and schematics.

If I remember correctly, CE is one of the games where the manual is just a little booklet, so it only has some game-specific info, and not a lot of the general system info (like the board schematics).

There is some repair info here as well: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1

How about some photos? I'd enjoy seeing a minty fresh CE

#6 8 years ago

Couple quick things. Despite how it looks on the outside, connectors could still be an issue. Check them and the board to make sure the battery isn't still on it.

Also, if any switch that has multiple contacts (say a rebound switch that is triggered by several actual switches but are seen as the same points/switch) is closed, then no switches that are on that switch position will work. Check that you don't have any switches stuck closed that just need to be adjusted.

#7 8 years ago

Here is some pics of the machine..

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

IMG_1861_(resized).JPGIMG_1861_(resized).JPG

IMG_1863_(resized).JPGIMG_1863_(resized).JPG

IMG_1862_(resized).JPGIMG_1862_(resized).JPG

IMG_1864_(resized).JPGIMG_1864_(resized).JPG

IMG_1865_(resized).JPGIMG_1865_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago

It looks really nice.

#9 8 years ago

Very nice! Working on a Close right now! Steve Young has new plastic sets!

20160130_162457_(resized).jpg20160130_162457_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-close-encounters-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.